Would braces help a 12mm overjet - saw 3 ortho & am confused

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Harmony

Re: Would braces help a 12mm overjet - saw 3 ortho & am conf

#16 Post by Harmony »

Photos of my teeth - as you'll see my overjet is quite bad :(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Harmony

#17 Post by Harmony »

oops, sorry the photo's appeared massive so used imageshack :) as you can see from the photos above my overjet is quite bad (12mm) Need to talk to my ortho again, beginning to think will my overjet even half? He said it would after treatment to approx 6mm. Just trying to imagine what my side profile will be like then and will my teeth still sit on my lower lip? The more I look at those photos the more determined I am too do something, oh decisions decisions!!

Rizzie

#18 Post by Rizzie »

I would suggest doing a lot of research on the internet to arm yourself with as much information as possible. Here is a video from Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MolenOrthod ... oVeneli3jI

This orthodontic group has many, many videos that will help you locate your specific problem and/or surgery. There are also lots of orthognathic blogs that will show you what to expect with surgery, as it it not something you go into lightly. I'm day 6 post-surgery, and I'm happy I did it, but it is not for the faint of heart. There are also surgeons with websites that show amaziing before and after pics of their surgery clients.

If you are having this done on the NHS, or anywhere for that matter, you need to decide beforehand, whether you are willing to do surgery/braces or just braces. Your entire treatment plan will be different. With surgery, your teeth are set up to fit perfectly, after surgery. (You can see this in the videos).

The orthognathic surgery section on this forum has a lot of good discussion and information also. Once you have educated yourself, could you go back to one of the orthos that recommended surgery and have him answer your questions? It is a complicated process, and everyone is different, so it is essential that you understand the basics, then you can pose your questions to your surgeon.

Harmony

#19 Post by Harmony »

Thanks Rizzie for the video link, must check that out and other videos. I've actually spoke to the first orthodontist I went too and asked him would braces on their own help. He said fixed appliances would be used to align and coordinate the arches after which a mandibular advancement osteotomy would be required. Said I've a strong chin point and may require a simultaneous reduction genioplasty to get the best possible result. He said appliances would merely align my lower anterior teeth and would not have any effect on my overjet. The extraction of a premolar from either side of the upper arch and the subsequent retraction of the upper labial segment would reduce my overjet however this is likely to have a detrimental affect on my profile.

Forgot to say to everyone that with him I can pay for the braces or he'll put me under the NHS but there's a 2 year waiting list. So he said braces won't have any effect.

I then spoke to the other orthodontist I went too and he has said braces will help and my overjet will be about 6mm after treatment. Confirmed again that I didn't need surgery as he'd bring my lower teeth forward. Braces with him are a few thousand pound.

This decision is so so hard!

lilone

#20 Post by lilone »

Obviously I'm no ortho and you should not make any decisions based on what people on here say since we are not experts and cannot even see the real you from every angle. What I do notice,though, from the pictures is that your lowers are slanted backward quite a bit and I bet you would get the overjet reduced a bit just by uprighting them to where they should be, which is a nice position to be starting from if you do decide to forgo surgery. Surgery will always get the best result but is a big deal and the decision is a big one. The ortho who is doing just braces will also use elastics to help. Elastics can make a really big difference if you use them regularly. I would also ask him if IPR would be an option to help bring back your uppers a little bit without pulling them back too far and affecting your profile. I think your lowers being so tilted will really work to your benefit.

Here is a video of class II elastics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHR58UT27A

Harmony

#21 Post by Harmony »

Hi lilone, thanks for the video link. Yeah my lower teeth are slanted backwards so his plan was too bring them forward. Just a pity he can't do extractions from the upper teeth as he said it could change my profile. If he could it would have helped with the overjet. I've just rang his secretary and was told that he won't be using elastics on me just fixed braces. Then the other ortho said my problem is the size and position of my jaw and surgery is the only answer.

Obviously, I'd be happy enough with the braces and is a shame he can't do any extractions as that would have helped.

lilone

#22 Post by lilone »

What ortho won't use class II elastics on a class II patient? Weird. It sounds like surgery is your best option if you can handle it. If you don' t feel you can, shop around for another ortho and ask about non-surgical options and ask about class II elastics. Most people on this board end up in elastics at some point during treatment so it is weird (imo) that he doesn't plan on using them to reduce your overjet further. The ortho that is simply straightening might not be using all the non surgical options available to him. The more research you do, the more informed a decision you will make. Good luck!

I love my teeth

#23 Post by I love my teeth »

I had a12mm over jet, braces and surgery were my only options.....I tried to go nonsurgical, but the ortho said no. I got a 6mm reduction in y over jet with braces for 15months....I loved the way I looked, and would have been happy to stop there....ortho said in 5years or less my teeth would have gone back to the way they were before. My upper teeth were still resting on my lower lip. Extractions would have given me a sucken in look....so I was stuck and had the surgery in January, couldn't be happier, so g
Ad I did it and didn't settle...best of luck as you make your decision.
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

Harmony

#24 Post by Harmony »

Thanks lilone and I love my teeth (wish I loved mine lol). It seems strange that the ortho isn't using elastics, just don't get it too be honest. After reading I love my teeth's reply I'm beginning to think now that it may have too be surgery. Just not so sure what he meant when he said 'I've a strong chin point and may require a simultaneous reduction genioplasty to get the best possible result' sounds as if I may get a chin job as well lol. Not sure what he meant or what genioplasty involves?

So were you a class II patient as well (sorry if that sounds silly) How long were you in theatre for? So you wore braces for 15 months and your overjet went down to 6mm. Then your ortho told you your teeth could go back to the way they were in 5 years or less, did you wear retainers? I thought they would have helped to prevent them from moving back to the way they were?

revelvia

#25 Post by revelvia »

Yep, as I suspected yours looks basically exactly like mine. The profile picture of you with your mouth closes is almost identical to me!

Actually, I'm surprised they said that no surgery would work for you. Like I said, it looks identical to mine, and I went to 8 orthodontists all who told me they couldn't do anything without surgery. I was worried about my lower lip and I asked if after I'd had just braces on their own whether my lips would then meet and they told me that the movement wouldn't be enough and so my lips wouldn't actually really change position at all. I'm not sure if it will be the same for you, but just something to consider if you dislike that fact about yourself as much as I do!

Also I didn't realise you were England as well. If you do decide you're interested in the surgery, the waiting list actually isn't anywhere near as long as I was told. It did take a little while for me because they lost some of the medical staff and therefore everybody's appointments got pushed back as there weren't as many people to spread it between, then held it up by myself by no longer being sure of whether I wanted the surgery or not so they added another appointment after two months or so so I could come in and discuss it again. The longest delay was for my joint consultant with the surgeon, the orthodontist, and whatever the name of the people who do things with chins is called :D But that's understandable. I don't know how it works with you, I assume it is the same all ove the country with the NHS to be honest, but my orthodontist works at the same hospital as where the surgery will take place. From the date I signed my consent form I got given a date of exactly three months before having my braces put in.

I think I've said this already but I was told the same as you about my chin point. They explained it to me quite graphically! In my consultant with all three of them, they told me that at the same time of the jaw surgery he would cut off the end of my chin bone so that it didn't stick out so much. I assume it's probably the same as you, just because our cases seem to be so ridiculously similar haha!

EDIT: Also, for what its worth, the NHS said that they were only willing to go ahead with both braces and surgery, not braces on their own. They said that over a certain distance, any changes that braces could make on an adult would be purely cosmetic and not actually correct the problem, so they were unwilling to do them without the surgery as well. If you haven't already seen an NHS surgical consultant I'd say it's well worth doing. As they are the one who will be doing the surgery on you, they're probably the best people to talk to! Also in my case they gave me a list of what I could do if I didn't go with the surgery and ranked them by what they felt their effectiveness would be. They made it clear they weren't going to fund any of it and stated what all the problems would be with each, but it did help and make my options much clearer - especially coming from the NHS who weren't going ot make any money out of it whatever I did!
[/url]

Harmony

#26 Post by Harmony »

Hi revelvia, well hope my post wasn't too confusing. It was just one ortho who didn't recommend surgery as he advised braces on their own would be fine as they'd reduce my overjet to half. However, I'm still worried about my profile etc.

So have you actually been for your surgery yet? Its good to talk to someone in a similiar situation :)

revelvia

#27 Post by revelvia »

No, I get my braces in August
[/url]

BrandieMarie

#28 Post by BrandieMarie »

This is my first post here.
I don't mean to scare you or deter you from treatment, but my teeth pretty much like yours. Thats why I joined this site tonight because I'm left confused and bruised.
I'm 42 yrs old now. I've had braces for 5 yrs.
My over-jet was 13 mm and my bottom teeth were inward as well.
I kept my tougue at the roof of mouth to off set the award site of my smile. (you're not alone on that)
My bottom teeth were overlapping each other and that's what made me seek out ortho.
Because of the overcrowding my teeth statred gum reccession and there were cavities behind the overlapped teeth.
Braces were to make it easier to keep clean and maintain and help my esteem.
They wanted to do oral surgery as well to me, but I didn't have $35,000 to spend on that.
So, I opted for braces.
I had 2 bottom molars removed and finally after 3 yrs he decieded to pull one up top cause he couldn't make room.
I waited for something to happen~~~~~~Nothing it kept dragging.
So, I found a new ortho, he put on Dameon braces.
2 yrs later they tell me everything looks good.
But I still have 2 large gaps at bottom~~~~~ He told me he thought that I knew that a gap that large couldn't be closed. So now they want me to have implants to replace the teeth that my first one extracted.
My point is, if you're not comfortable with surgery, don't do it.
Ask questions as to why they are doing what they are doing during your treatment.
Cause in the long run, it's not like a bad hair cut and you grow it back and switch hair stylist, you have to live with this a long time.
If it hadn't been for the bad first ortho I would have had a wonder brace experience. So, ask those questions.

Harmony

#29 Post by Harmony »

Oh that's great revelvia, I'm sure your looking forward to your journey.

Nice too hear from you BrandieMarie. Another one who can join my club then :) Well I hope things work out for you and I'm sure in the end they will. I just keep saying to myself that I'm so unhappy with my teeth/profile and can I live with this for the rest of my life! The answer is no really and obviously the thought of surgery scares me but I think it's my only option.

I'm having a little hope that maybe after I get braces (no date yet) I might see some improvement and opt out of surgery and wear retainers. Then again I don't want too be expecting a miracle and end up disappointed knowing that I'll still have to go for surgery. My overjet is 12mm so quite big and I feel for you having the same problems.

I especially hate the way my upper teeth sit on my lower lip. I also keep my tongue at the roof of my mouth - do you still do this now? Do you know what your overjet is now? My ortho told me it would be approx 6mm after braces!

Harmony

#30 Post by Harmony »

Just read this article about Invisalign - anyone have any results with Invisalign with a similiar overjet like me?

Will Invisalign help me?

Invisalign is an orthodontic treatment and will help reduce the overjet. In cases of extreme overjet it is recommended that you get help from a very experienced Invisalign dentist.
The teeth are gently pulled inwards to meet the lower teeth. It is possible that the lower teeth may also need correcting before the overjet can be reduced.
I regularly treat patients with very large overjets (12mm) and find no problems with Invisalign. It takes about 15 months but the results speak for themselves.
Having a large overjet should not stop you living a happy life. But if it gets on your nerves then Invisalign can definitely help. Be prepared for about 12 months of treatment, but what is 1 year out of a lifetime of happiness?

My dentist told me that I need my jaw broken and reset to correct my overjet

Patients with extreme overjets greater than 10mm/1 cm may have a situation where the lower jaw is set back and their side profile is not great.
The jaw difference can be corrected once the teeth are pulled inwards but most patients do not opt for surgery. The lower jaw is broken and then positioned forward to meet the upper jaw. The jaws are splinted with metal braces for about 6 weeks whilst the jaw sets.
This is an extreme treatment and is not recommended except in extreme cases where the facial appearance is obvious.
Most patients have full lower lips that mask the lower jaw position. Most patients are happy just top get straight teeth instead.

Anyone have success with invisalign who has a similiar overjet like me?