Can retainers work on leveling teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VA5

Can retainers work on leveling teeth?

#1 Post by VA5 »

I am supposed to be nearly done. However, I can see that my bottom teeth will never get as level as I'd like, or else I'll be braced for 3 years which I do NOT want. I want that nice, u shape to the teeth when you look right at it from the front. I don't know if that makes sense. The molars should look higher than the front bottom teeth, and it would kind of create a subtle u when looking at it from the front. Anyways, it's not like that now. It's getting there, but it won't be where i'd like it for another year at this rate.

What I was wondering is if retainers can keep moving my teeth so they become more level as time goes on. I know that retainers can help fix some things after debracing, but didn't know about the leveling, which is normally accomplished with the archwire. Anybody know?

UGHBRACES

Re: Can retainers work on leveling teeth?

#2 Post by UGHBRACES »

I would say no because there is nothing to anchor them to allow vertical force.

VA5

#3 Post by VA5 »

Thanks! That's what i figure... was kind of hoping they could somehow. I find it interesting that they can help to move teeth around in your mouth though, even though slight, it just seems like such an interesting process and i still can't really envision how that works. I'm just really looking forward to getting out of these things.. it's been fast but not really fast, all at the same time. I hate them! lol...

SlimZippy

#4 Post by SlimZippy »

The effect you mean is a “positive smile”. My ortho addressed this during my treatment when correcting my bite via some bracket adjustments and elastics. You would have to match the bite top and bottom so I don’t think retainers alone would be able to get that result.
Damon & ICE brackets for 11 months in 2010/2011 @ 34 : Before and after pictures here