I SHOULD BE DEAD!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

uvraise

I SHOULD BE DEAD!

#1 Post by uvraise »

Hey Guys,
I haven't been on here in a while as my braces journey ended in February. But my life forever changed on April 12th. I've been slowly posting in forums that I subscribe to to give a brief account of what happened to me to help me deal with it.

I was waiting on a train platform on April 12th, waiting to go work. In short, I was struck by a train traveling 130MPH. I can't discuss the specifics at this time. I suffered a severe knee injury and lost part of my right index finger as a result, but I'm still here. It's going to be a long road of recovery for me, but I'm still here. My wife has taken on a role that I hope no one else has to take on in their lives.

Just take the time to tell the ones you love that you love them. I always had and will continue to do so. The saying is true that you never know if you will return home. I thank GOD above for cradling me that day, because by all accounts I should be dead, but I'm still here.

And for the curious, my teeth are still perfect! (IMO)

Have a great day and may god bless you if he hasn't already!
UVRAISE

Ellebraced

Re: I SHOULD BE DEAD!

#2 Post by Ellebraced »

WHAT!!!!

Uvraise thats CRAZY!!!!

Hope you are doing well!! Take care of yourself. I was just thinking about you the other day wondering how retainer life was going and I was going to ask you about laser eye surgery (because I thought you had it done)??

Wow, I am in shock. Take care

Elle

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

DrJasonKTam

#3 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Sorry to hear that you've had this incident. On the bright side, it seems like your mental spirit is good, and that you have loved ones around you to help.

All the best on a speedy recovery, and great to hear that the teeth are doing well still :).
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

uvraise

#4 Post by uvraise »

Thank You Dr. Tam.

Elle,
I was going to post something on MYBRACES but haven't gotten to it yet. You can send me a PM if you have questions about the laser eye surgery. I didn't have it done but my wife did! Thanks for your concern!

Jethro

#5 Post by Jethro »

Wow UV, so very sorry to hear of your injuries, but very glad to hear you survived. I wish you a full and rapid recovery.

P.S. Great to hear that, like The Wolfman's hair, your teeth are perfect! :wink:

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

My god, how did that happen to you? You ARE lucky to be alive! I'm sorry to hear that something so awful happened to you!
I wish you a good and full recovery!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

AlbinoPenguin

#7 Post by AlbinoPenguin »

u clearly have a guardian angel! your one lucky duck!

Tooth Fairy

#8 Post by Tooth Fairy »

Oh my God! I read the title and out of curiosity gave your thread a look, and my goodness!

I couldn't just leave without commenting.

I am so sorry to hear such an absolutely horrible thing! I hope you're holding up alright and are on the road to recovery. You truly are blessed, and I hope if anything the accident has given you a new will to live. Again, get well and my best wishes.
Check out my blog about my underbite fixed with ceramic braces only @ http://saybraces.blogspot.com/

Sandpiper

#9 Post by Sandpiper »

Uvraise, I am totally shocked by your accident, but so glad you are (relatively) ok. We really don't know what each day holds, and you're so right, we should take more time to count our many blessings. I do hope you'll have a full recovery, and very best wishes to you and your wife.
471 days in braces

[/url]

dezlorelle

#10 Post by dezlorelle »

uvraise wrote: I was waiting on a train platform on April 12th, waiting to go work. In short, I was struck by a train traveling 130MPH. I can't discuss the specifics at this time. I suffered a severe knee injury and lost part of my right index finger as a result, but I'm still here. It's going to be a long road of recovery for me, but I'm still here. My wife has taken on a role that I hope no one else has to take on in their lives.
UVRAISE
That's insane, and super scary! What station was this? I ride the train every day to work and back here in Philly. I'm glad you're ok and seem to be bouncing back. It's amazing story to here that you're doing well.

uvraise

#11 Post by uvraise »

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Everyday get a little better!
Dezlorelle,
I'm surprised you didn't hear about it. It happened on the Amtrak/Septa line in Cornwell Heights heading to 30th St.

lilone

#12 Post by lilone »

I'm so glad you have lived to tell us this! I know you will have a long road ahead, emotionally and physically, so best wishes to you.

I thought with something as crazy as a person being hit by a train that I'd see a newspaper story online so when I typed what I knew in to check...it turns out there have been at least 4 people hit by trains in Philly this month! And I don't think any of the ones I saw were you because of the dates (unless you are a young man who was running from the police at 3am...) so there is even more than that amount of train accidents now. Crazy! And scary.

llehsal

#13 Post by llehsal »

It's beautiful that you are alive to tell us this now. You seem so confident and optimistic right now about your life and I thank you for posting this. I am currently going through a tough time and this little post made me feel so much better. God bless you.

Shelby's Braces Story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35311