Been in braces about 6 weeks and feeling very discouraged.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skeptical

Been in braces about 6 weeks and feeling very discouraged.

#1 Post by Skeptical »

I kind of wound up in braces inadvertently and now wish I'd have done a lot more research before I made the decision to do this. I went to my 1st check up with a new dentist a few months ago and he mentioned (unsolicited) that he could fix the overcrowding in my top teeth in about 4mos with metal braces if I was interested. At the time I really wasn't, even at the discounted cost he quoted me it was still steep. Then I found out my insurance covers adult ortho so I immediately decided to go ahead and do it. Once I made the decision I couldn't get them on fast enough because I wanted them off by summer, otherwise it was a no-go. Now I'm sorry I rushed into it and am beginning to seriously consider having them removed at my next (and first) adjustment. Here are my concerns:

1) In 6 weeks I don't notice any improvement, if anything, the crowding seems to have gotten worse? If this whole thing is only supposed to take about 4mos, shouldn't I be seeing results by now?

2) My dentist (and he is a general dentist, as far as I can tell, NOT an ortho) scheduled my 1st adjustment 2mos after initially putting the braces on. I've never read/heard of anyone else going that long between adjustments?

3) Was the 4 month promise just a "hook" to get me into the braces - is it really possible to fix even fairly minor over crowding in such a short time frame?

Dealing with the appearance aspect of wearing metal braces has been incredibly hard for me. I've always had a big toothy smile and I'm so self-conscious now I never smile with exposed teeth and I think that has really affected my overall emotional state. I really thought that once I started seeing results I'd be motivated & excited to persevere until the end, but I just find myself feeling more and more skeptical, frustrated and discouraged. Has anyone else experienced this? Everyone I speak to who has had braces assure me I'll be so happy I did it, but I just don't see it right now :(

drgnchsr36

Re: Been in braces about 6 weeks and feeling very discourage

#2 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Wow, that is a pretty fast timeline.

I can only say that I didn't have my first adjustment for 2 months as well, but my total treatment time is 18-24. But my issue is a bite issue and not crowding, so I can't say for sure if that sounds like a reasonable time frame. Hopefully someone can chime in. I still have yet to see any major changes, but maybe my teeth are a bit slow on the moving dept.

I'm just surprised that he didn't refer you to an ortho.

Hope it all works out for you!

kittykel29

#3 Post by kittykel29 »

I've never heard of anyone only having braces for four months, but maybe its possible. My first adjustment was also at two months, and from what I've read on here, that is fairly normal. I've had my braces for almost 5 months and I haven't seen much movement yet, so its normal for you to not see much. Also, for some people, their teeth seem to get worse before they get better, so that could be what is happening in your case. I hope you can hang in there and have a great smile when you're all done!

nifer237

#4 Post by nifer237 »

4 months seems a bit fast to me...My first visit back was also 8 weeks after my bottoms went on. He didn't recommend any extractions for the crowding? I know that braces pull your teeth out, so perhaps that is what is happening before they actually align. I'd definitely go back to your dentist if you have concerns.

Iam918

#5 Post by Iam918 »

My first adjustment is at 6 weeks, which when my ortho told me this I thought seemed a little long as I'd heard thru others it'd be every 4 weeks. However, reading around it seems I may be on the short end, time wise, for first adjustments.
First time in braces @ 34
Braced: March 24, 2011
Estimated completion time: 30 mo's
May 19, 2011 - Oral Surgery to remove:
3 Wisdom Teeth, 1 Broken Molar & 1 Baby Canine tooth; plus expose & chain Impacted canine

UGHBRACES

#6 Post by UGHBRACES »

Any time an ortho gives a timeline, its just an estimate. Your teeth may not move as quick as he anticipated and it could take longer. There is a dentist that posts on here who is the developer of a technique called powerprox six month braces which may be the technique your dentist is using so he may see this and give you pro advice. As for the amount of time between adjustments, I know 8 weeks is common for a traditional treatment plan.

Chicagogal

#7 Post by Chicagogal »

I know someone who has been in the business a while who always says "add 6 months to whatever they tell you." Now, I'm not sure that's necessarily true, but you're only ever getting an estimate.

Some of traditional orthodontics is honestly a trial and error (ex. powerchains could close some gaps so fast it causes unforeseen overcrowding. Teeth often don’t move as expected, it’s a constant correction process until they get it perfect w/ traditional).

If you really only have minimal issues, I’m surprised that you weren’t offered invisalign actually (which is more expensive typically, so not sure why he would’ve “sold” you on metal).

You can always TRY and get an orthodontic consultation to see what someone else thinks.

I’ve never gone more than about 6 weeks without an adjustment, but I’ve heard that 6-10 weeks is normal for first adjustment.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

Skeptical

#8 Post by Skeptical »

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

@Chicagogal - I think the doc knew Invisalign b/c it was so much more expensive - he quoted me a price of $1500 for the metal braces and there's no way he could do Invisalign for that. I am assuming that he was just happy to get any extra $ from me and he knew that $1500 was better than nothing. And if I have to add 6mos to a treatment duration that was supposed to be 4mos I'm getting them off. I absolutely hate the asthetic of these metal braces and think that the less of 2 evils is the slightly crooked teeth. 4 mos is worth the torture, but much beyond that is not, in my case and IMO. And also, IMO, he's supposed to be a professional and while I realize the treatment time quoted is just an estimate, if the duration runs over by more than a month or so then he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about and has no business working in ortho.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but right now that's how I feel. Hoping that at my adjustment on 4/19 he sets my mind at ease and walk out feeling more optimistic.

UGHBRACES

#9 Post by UGHBRACES »

You have the worst part of braces over with. Its all downhill from here, hang in there!

VA5

#10 Post by VA5 »

I think 4 months sounds ridiculous. Unless all you have are some gaps in your teeth that you need closed, I highly doubt he can achieve the results it sounds like you want, in that period of time unless he seriously damages your teeth/roots.

If i were you, I would stop treatment w/this guy, and find another reputable ortho who will take care of your teeth properly.

Skeptical

#11 Post by Skeptical »

I think the dentist estimated 4 mos b/c my main concern was just the crookedness of the 4 top front teeth (but I got braces on the bottom too just to tweak them while I'm at it), and truth be told, they're not horrible. My bite, although not perfect, isn't horrible and wasn't something I was really concerned with fixing nor did it need to be fixed for health reasons. Do basically, we're just fixing the aesthetic of my front teeth. Although he didn't use the term, it seems like he's basically implementing the 6 Month Smiles technique.

VA5

#12 Post by VA5 »

Skeptical wrote:I think the dentist estimated 4 mos b/c my main concern was just the crookedness of the 4 top front teeth (but I got braces on the bottom too just to tweak them while I'm at it), and truth be told, they're not horrible. My bite, although not perfect, isn't horrible and wasn't something I was really concerned with fixing nor did it need to be fixed for health reasons. Do basically, we're just fixing the aesthetic of my front teeth. Although he didn't use the term, it seems like he's basically implementing the 6 Month Smiles technique.

I had quite straight teeth, and a perfect bite. But, there are so many things to "tweak" during the process while braced, that 4 months is very unrealistic.. he can do a so-so job in 4 months, maybe. I could have had my braces off a year ago too, and it would have looked fine to most people. However, there are many other things that some orthos will keep you in braces for, for longer, to get it just right. I may eat my words but 4 months may help straighten some of your teeth, but from the sounds of it I don't think you'll have a great bite (sounds like you'll have a slight overbite) afterwards, and I'm sure there are other things too that he'll leave "unfinished". My advice, get some opinions from other orthos, and then decide whether you want to continue w/your current guy, or somebody new.

UGHBRACES

#13 Post by UGHBRACES »

VA5 I think it is unfair to make those statements about her dentist. You have no idea what the teeth started out like and what the final goal is. Speed braces are quite sufficient for many people, so to judge this situation based on your own standards and not having any of the facts or hands on skills that the op's dentist has is senseless.

VA5

#14 Post by VA5 »

UGHBRACES wrote:VA5 I think it is unfair to make those statements about her dentist. You have no idea what the teeth started out like and what the final goal is. Speed braces are quite sufficient for many people, so to judge this situation based on your own standards and not having any of the facts or hands on skills that the op's dentist has is senseless.

My point is to be wary (the original poster ALREADY sounds wary so I don't think I'm feeding any doubt into his/her head) of the dentist... speed braces is not supposed to be the best thing for your teeth and the op said he has large teeth to begin with, and have crooked teeth being straightened means one thing, having more prominent front teeth, and if the bottoms are not addressed too, then there WILL be an overbite. I'm only going by the facts that I have read here, and my opinion to be wary is really in line with the original poster's thinking too, I'm not telling him to feel any different than they already are. Also, yes, I have no clue without looking and actually, without being an ortho myself. But, we are all here to give our advice and input based on what we know (which is almost entirely based on our own situation, sprinkled in with some bias based on what we have learned here and other people along the way), so I don't see what kind of harm I have done beyond giving my advice (get other consultations to either verify what his dentist is doing, or to perhaps go with somebody else he might feel more comfortable with). At least I'm trying to be helpful. I never claimed to be an expert.

UGHBRACES

#15 Post by UGHBRACES »

VA5 wrote: and have crooked teeth being straightened means one thing, having more prominent front teeth, and if the bottoms are not addressed too, then there WILL be an overbite. I'm only going by the facts that I have read here,
This is not a fact. You don't even know what has caused the slight crowding to the 4 front teeth. I had crowding because my molars were collapsed inwards. Once they were brought upright, no more crowding to the fronts and even less prominent than before. And what do you mean there will be an overbite if the lowers aren't addressed? I assume you mean overjet? Again, you don't know why there is minor crowding. And the person has already stated the lowers are braced.

Saying to stop treatment and go to somebody else is probably terrifying to hear. There is nothing wrong with telling somebody to be wary, but to go so far as to say that while being ignorant to most of the facts of this particular case is not helpful.