Been in braces about 6 weeks and feeling very discouraged.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VA5

Re: Been in braces about 6 weeks and feeling very discourage

#16 Post by VA5 »

UGHBRACES wrote:
VA5 wrote: and have crooked teeth being straightened means one thing, having more prominent front teeth, and if the bottoms are not addressed too, then there WILL be an overbite. I'm only going by the facts that I have read here,
This is not a fact. You don't even know what has caused the slight crowding to the 4 front teeth. I had crowding because my molars were collapsed inwards. Once they were brought upright, no more crowding to the fronts and even less prominent than before. And what do you mean there will be an overbite if the lowers aren't addressed? I assume you mean overjet? Again, you don't know why there is minor crowding. And the person has already stated the lowers are braced.

Saying to stop treatment straight away and go to somebody else is probably terrifying to hear. There is nothing wrong with telling somebody to be wary, but to go so far as to say that while being ignorant to most of the facts of this particular case is not helpful.
Yeah whatever, overjet. Although, there could be an overbite too you know. The bottoms could end up being really unlevel too if you have even a slight overjet. And yeah I read the lowers are braced but in my opinion, 4 months to fix anything beyond a slight problem like gaps in the teeth, is not long enough to fix teeth. I did NOT say to stop treatment right away... I said to go find some other orthos to consult with, and then make a decision b/c it is obvious the op is uncomfortable in her situation and I agree completely b/c I would feel the same way. It is your opinion I am not being helpful, and that is fine, but there is no need to criticize my posts when I am only trying to give my constructive opinion/advice. Otherwise, you can go into every other post in this entire website and tell people to buzz off b/c none of us are trained orthos with really any real merit to give any advice, but most of us also know that and take eachother's advice with (hopefully) a grain of salt and make our own decisions in conjunction w /the professional advice of the orthos that we choose to go to.

UGHBRACES

#17 Post by UGHBRACES »

VA5 wrote: I did NOT say to stop treatment right away... I said to go find some other orthos to consult with, and then make a decision b/c it is obvious the op is uncomfortable in her situation and I agree completely b/c I would feel the same way.

Really?
VA5 wrote:If i were you, I would stop treatment w/this guy, and find another reputable ortho who will take care of your teeth properly.

You just seem to have very strong unqualified opinions.
For all you know, this guy is reputable and is doing a proper job.

VA5

#18 Post by VA5 »

UGHBRACES wrote:
VA5 wrote: I did NOT say to stop treatment right away... I said to go find some other orthos to consult with, and then make a decision b/c it is obvious the op is uncomfortable in her situation and I agree completely b/c I would feel the same way.

Really?
VA5 wrote:If i were you, I would stop treatment w/this guy, and find another reputable ortho who will take care of your teeth properly.

You just seem to have very strong unqualified opinions.
For all you know, this guy is reputable and is doing a proper job.
Yeah, really. I didn't say to stop treatment entirely. What I meant and should have been pretty clear from subsequent posts is that I meant he/she should consult w/other orthos and then make a decision from there. I don't know what the problem is, he/she has 8 weeks before the next visit, that is plenty of time to consult w/other orthos and see who he might feel more comfortable with.. it might be the dentist he is already going to... is there a problem with getting consultations with other orthos b/c it's quite obvious the op is uncomfortable w/his current dentist?

And, I have no idea what his reputation is, and what kind of job he is doing, sure. But, the op is obviously uncomfortable for various reasons, and 4 months DOES sound like a really short time to fix teeth, so I expressed my opinion to consult w/other orthos.

I don't really need to belabor the point anymore, you aren't even the op, I don't know what your agenda is, I have stated several times what my previous posts are all about, if you have a problem then stop reading my posts, thank you.

UGHBRACES

#19 Post by UGHBRACES »

If you want me to stop reading your posts, then stop replying to mine. And nice attempt at the backpeddling there. But you said what you said and I replied directly to it. If you meant something else then you should have said it that way to begin with.

There is nothing wrong with getting other consultations.
And the next appointment is not 8 weeks away, it is 11 days away.

VA5

#20 Post by VA5 »

UGHBRACES wrote:If you want me to stop reading your posts, then stop replying to mine. And nice attempt at the backpeddling there. But you said what you said and I replied directly to it. If you meant something else then you should have said it that way to begin with.

There is nothing wrong with getting other consultations.
And the next appointment is not 8 weeks away, it is 11 days away.
There was no backpeddling. You are making stories out of my posts. I said to consult with other orthos and find somebody he is comfortable with. Obviously if he finds the original dentist to be the most competent one then he could continue to see that dentist. And, 11 days is plenty of time to consult with many many other orthos. Again I don't see what the problem is.

I think you just like to argue, you can reply again but I will stop here.

UGHBRACES

#21 Post by UGHBRACES »

VA5 wrote:And, 11 days is plenty of time to consult with many many other orthos. Again I don't see what the problem is.

I think you just like to argue, you can reply again but I will stop here.
I have explained what my problems were with the things you have been saying. And consulting with other orthos is something I specifically said I did NOT have a problem with.

As for liking to argue, well its take two.

Skeptical

#22 Post by Skeptical »

Wow. Thank you both Ughbraces & VA5. I think you both have valid points and really appreciate both points of view. Now please don't stress yourselves anymore with the back & forth - I'm good and you both should be too ;)

I think at this point I'm going to wait for my adjustment on 4/19 and address all my concerns with the dentist. If I'm not comfortable with his answers I'll either get them taken off at that point or seek a consultation with another ortho. If he can show me my original photos or mold and can show me there's been some improvement I'll feel much better.

Regarding the 4mo treatment duration, I go back & forth between feeling ok with it and being really skeptical. I've read a lot about "speed braces" and "6 month smiles" so I know that this isn't entirely unusual and I think I am a perfect candidate for these types of procedures, but I'm not sure if my dentist is actually following those techniques or doing something more traditional and expecting that my case is minor enough that it will be corrected in a shorter timeframe. I have figured out that the brackets I have are self-ligating (not sure if they're Damon or not) which seems to be in line with a "speed brace" type of plan.

Chicagogal

#23 Post by Chicagogal »

I think that's a great call skeptical. Print out your questions that you wrote on here and bring them with. Once I start asking questions I often forget my more important ones while he answers my minor ones! Take a few phone pics yourself and ask if you can see your initial photo sheet that they probably did. Judge for yourself, but also ask what he sees as each step of your treatment.

Good luck!! Hope you find what's right for you.
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

VA5

#24 Post by VA5 »

Skeptical wrote:Wow. Thank you both Ughbraces & VA5. I think you both have valid points and really appreciate both points of view. Now please don't stress yourselves anymore with the back & forth - I'm good and you both should be too ;)

I think at this point I'm going to wait for my adjustment on 4/19 and address all my concerns with the dentist. If I'm not comfortable with his answers I'll either get them taken off at that point or seek a consultation with another ortho. If he can show me my original photos or mold and can show me there's been some improvement I'll feel much better.

Regarding the 4mo treatment duration, I go back & forth between feeling ok with it and being really skeptical. I've read a lot about "speed braces" and "6 month smiles" so I know that this isn't entirely unusual and I think I am a perfect candidate for these types of procedures, but I'm not sure if my dentist is actually following those techniques or doing something more traditional and expecting that my case is minor enough that it will be corrected in a shorter timeframe. I have figured out that the brackets I have are self-ligating (not sure if they're Damon or not) which seems to be in line with a "speed brace" type of plan.
Keep us updated with what you end up doing and how your teeth are progressing! Good luck!

bbsadmin

#25 Post by bbsadmin »

I'm locking this topic because of two members' bickering hijacking the thread.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!