elastics and sore teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

believer1964

elastics and sore teeth

#1 Post by believer1964 »

Hello all.

teeth have been consistantly sore (when i chew) since i had elastics in february. Is that normal. Soreness seems to move around alot. but all of them seem consistently minor sore when chewing.

Wasnt like before elastics.

Gennie 50

Re: elastics and sore teeth

#2 Post by Gennie 50 »

I know what you mean. I was in elastics for 4 months and my teeth were always kind of sore. But don't worry, it will all be worth it in the end. The best advice is to use warm salt water rinses.

Hang in there.

orangeracer

#3 Post by orangeracer »

Teeth are on the move a whole lot more with elastics than without, so that soreness would be normal. I have had pretty much the same, not climbing the walls, but a minor soreness most of the time that I notice more when eating.

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

What are your elastic wearing instructions? I wore them 24 hours a day, excpet when eating. After about a week, the pain went away. If you aren't wearing them 24/7, the teeth may not get used to them and that could be why you have pain.

Some people only wear them a certain amount of hours a day, while that is great for them (lucky ducks!), to the teeth it is like constantly starting and stopping the elastics. They never really get used to the pain.

When I had pain, I would use a heating pad.

Dilema

#5 Post by Dilema »

got my elastics few days ago

its the worst pain I had since being braced

I hope these things come off in a month or two

Snowglobe32

#6 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Dilema wrote:got my elastics few days ago

its the worst pain I had since being braced

I hope these things come off in a month or two

The elastics have been the worst pain for me (so far) also! Try a heating pad, they work wonders!

Kittykins

#7 Post by Kittykins »

I've had elastics since March the pain did go away after a week at the most. They do get better but then I was having to wear mine 24/7 except when brushing. So my teeth were used to them :D But even if I keep them out for about 15 minutes and put them back on I get a slight pain, but goes within 5 minutes :D Elastics do get better believe me :L But watch out if they snap because they can catch XD And god knows how many I swallowed when eating beef chow mein. Just keep your elastics with you at all times 0,o Because they can sometimes go without warning 0,o

11/11/10 - Got Braces (Top and Bottom) - Green Ligs
21/12/10 - First Adjustment - Bright Pink Ligs
01/02/11 - Second Adjustment - New Wire - Bright Blue Ligs
15/03/11 - Got Elastics 6.4mm to twist twice on both sides
10/05/11 - Got Power Chains and elastics both sides
21/06/11 - Power Chains on bottom, elastics on right hand side

nifer237

#8 Post by nifer237 »

Same with me. No picnic with the elastics and I am always thinking something is off, but nope, sounds normal.