Getting extractions for braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

razorjumper

Getting extractions for braces

#1 Post by razorjumper »

I am kinda having a dilemma here.. My dentist wants me to have 4 teeth extracted, 2 on upper and 2 on lower jaw due to crowding. However i've heard nasty things about having your teeth extracted ( facial change , etc) and i am wondering if i should proceed on...

I did some researching and heard that damon braces does not require extraction on certain situation. Would it be a better choice? I have overbite and my teeth are kind of protruding...

thanks!

Jewles

Re: Getting extractions for braces

#2 Post by Jewles »

I know loads of people including myself and my brother who have had extractions with no negative side effects. I think the problem is that not many people mention it unless things turn bad. I didn't regret my extractions a bit!

Lynette

#3 Post by Lynette »

I needed extractions because all those extra teeth would not fit in my small mouth. I have no regrets and am pleased with the results.

I'm not an expert, but the extractions are probably to help get rid of the protrusion you say you have.

Did you let your ortho know you were not keen on the extractions? Because in some cases, orthos can start treatment and only do extractions if it really is necessary. Sometimes IPR can work instead of extractions. It all depends on your case though.

If you are not happy, have some consults with other orthos.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

VA5

#4 Post by VA5 »

I think multiple consults is good advice. Also, educate yourself with all the different kinds of methods that are possible to retract. If you don't have a lot of crowding or overlap, then you may be able to get by with just ipr. The problem I have with trying ipr first to see if it works, and if it doesn't then extract, is that it is like a double blow for your teeth to do both. i would commit to one or the other... I think if you can get your ortho to do ipr on relatively straight, and relatively larger teeth, for teeth that aren't protruding too horribly, using tads in the back to have absolute anchorage for your front teeth to retract, would be a great option! Notice all the prerequisites though, first. If you don't have relatively straight/non-overlapping teeth, then I don't think the ipr will do a whole lot for you besides giving your teeth room to straighten. Hope this makes sense.

For extraction, I think it's great if the conditions are good... if you have lots of teeth in your mouth already, if you have relatively large protrusion, and if you have crowding and/or overlapping teeth, and if it just appears you've got way too many teeth for a small mouth, then extracting could be a great option for you! Just educate yourself and know that extracting is great for certain people and should not be dismissed b/c of the results of the few people here who have had a bad experience with it.

bp88

#5 Post by bp88 »

I had 4 extractions before getting my braces, one in each corner, third from back, sorry I don't know the names of teeth. I had no problems at all and no regrets. :)

tashay1985

#6 Post by tashay1985 »

I agree on getting more than 1 opinion. I was very scared at the thought of getting my teeth pulled out. I mean MORTIFIED. I had 3 consultations with 3 different orthos in 3 different states and they all said I would need extractions because of the severity of my crowding so there was really no way around it in my case. I had 6 extractions in all on the same day. all 4 wisdoms and 2 upper premolars on both sides. My face actually looks much better, a little slimmer according to people i havent seen in over year since before I got the braces. I needed the extractions badly and I can honestly say I dont regret it one bit. I think you should look into all your options and keep an open mind and tell your Ortho how you feel about it if you want to try and avoid the extractions. :mrgreen: after all, they are your teeth and you make the final call! good luck :tingrin:

Takako

#7 Post by Takako »

I had four extractions as well, two premolars on top and two on bottom! I have not noticed ANY facial change. I have a naturally thin face to begin with and the extractions did not make my face "implode" or anything like that.