What mouthwash do you use?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

england

What mouthwash do you use?

#1 Post by england »

I was using the Crest Pro Health one, but heard that it can cause staining. I switched to Listerine, but it literally brings tears of pain to my eyes. I noticed the Listerine has alcohol in it too, is that a no-no for us with braces? I just want a good mouthwash for braces...that has flouride in it.

Thank you!!!

nifer237

Re: What mouthwash do you use?

#2 Post by nifer237 »

I use Crest Phos Flur. It's pricey but my ortho gave me some $2.00 off coupons, but not a lot of places around me carry it. Or I use ACT.

njsuburban

#3 Post by njsuburban »

my ortho recommended Act Restoring Mouthwash, because it has floride in it.
Braced Feb. 18, 2010.

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I use ACT Total Care and I haven't had any issues at all.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#5 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I have been using listerine total care. Its nicer and it doesn't seem to burn like the other normal listerines would. While I don't have braces on now, I have permanent retainers and I find it helpful to use the mouth wash to help cut down on any trapped bacteria around and under the permanent retainers. I used to use Crest pro health in the beginning when i first had braces and yes it did cause lots of staining issues! I would upload a pic of my teeth when I had crest pro health but I'm currently in the process of moving to a new house so my desktop and external hard drive are all packed up but perhaps once I get all moved I can upload a pic for you to see the results of crest pro health. My dentist and orthodontist originally suggested this one and then they decided to switch me to a different one because they didn't realize that it would stain my teeth with the braces as bad as it did. I was using the blue colored one for crest pro health, apparently there a newer one that came out but I don't know what color it is (green maybe?) that is supposed to be be better and not stain as much. At any rate I would suggest total care listerine.
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

BraceFace2o1o

#6 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

At the moment I am using Dentyl Active Natural Defence and I am really pleased with it. It's the only one in the UK that I have found (so far) that doesn't contain alcohol or the staining ingredient. It was getting to the point where I would either have to have a mouthwash with no alcohol but stains, or one that doesn't stain but has alcohol (burns and dries out my mouth, which I am not too fond off).
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

sarz

#7 Post by sarz »

I use Colgate Flourigard (Flouride rinse) Alcohol Free. :rose:
No Regrets Just Lessons Learned
"What can we do to prevent this from happening again"?

drgnchsr36

#8 Post by drgnchsr36 »

blindboarder2008 wrote:I have been using listerine total care. Its nicer and it doesn't seem to burn like the other normal listerines would. While I don't have braces on now, I have permanent retainers and I find it helpful to use the mouth wash to help cut down on any trapped bacteria around and under the permanent retainers. I used to use Crest pro health in the beginning when i first had braces and yes it did cause lots of staining issues! I would upload a pic of my teeth when I had crest pro health but I'm currently in the process of moving to a new house so my desktop and external hard drive are all packed up but perhaps once I get all moved I can upload a pic for you to see the results of crest pro health. My dentist and orthodontist originally suggested this one and then they decided to switch me to a different one because they didn't realize that it would stain my teeth with the braces as bad as it did. I was using the blue colored one for crest pro health, apparently there a newer one that came out but I don't know what color it is (green maybe?) that is supposed to be be better and not stain as much. At any rate I would suggest total care listerine.
I use the same. I used it before braces and haven't noticed anything different after braces.

rwashington007

#9 Post by rwashington007 »

I use the mouthwash from this site http://www.epicdental.com/c-24-toothpaste-rinse.aspx

and some of their other products like the toothpaste, sugar free gum and mints :mrgreen:

tianna

#10 Post by tianna »

[quote="england"]I was using the Crest Pro Health one, but heard that it can cause staining. I switched to Listerine, but it literally brings tears of pain to my eyes. I noticed the Listerine has alcohol in it too, is that a no-no for us with braces? I just want a good mouthwash for braces...that has flouride in it.

Thank you!!![/quote]
Flourideguard is good,alcohol free and high fluoride concentration.Also,I use Blanx to prevent stains and keep teeth whiter.:-)

bracedup

#11 Post by bracedup »

I use a small mix of peroxide and water. It's the best and cheapest :)

N'awlinsRach

#12 Post by N'awlinsRach »

I use the purple listerine because I am a really lazy flosser. I might break out the string floss once of twice a week (I know, I know) I mostly use the little GUM thingys with the green rubber nubs.