How the heck do you eat?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

peapod

How the heck do you eat?

#1 Post by peapod »

I just got braces yesterday (full on metal). My teeth aren't too sore yet and I've been trying to stay ahead of the pain with Tylenol. So right now it doesn't really hurt to eat but I just can't figure out how to do it. It's so much work and then more food gets stuck in my braces than I swallow. Does anyone have any tips on how to eat regular food? I really don't want to be on a soup diet for the next 2 years.

Flamingo

Re: How the heck do you eat?

#2 Post by Flamingo »

Hi I've had my braces on for about 5 weeks now & still can't eat properly :shock:
I found the best method is to cut everything up pretty small, then throw it to the back of your mouth & just chew with your back teeth (although my 4 extractions makes it more awkward!).
Eating has got better/easier but i've still got a long way to go...... I'm looking forward to the day i can finally bite into sandwiches etc again with my front teeth :)

suzanna

#3 Post by suzanna »

peapod wrote:I just got braces yesterday (full on metal). My teeth aren't too sore yet and I've been trying to stay ahead of the pain with Tylenol. So right now it doesn't really hurt to eat but I just can't figure out how to do it. It's so much work and then more food gets stuck in my braces than I swallow. Does anyone have any tips on how to eat regular food? I really don't want to be on a soup diet for the next 2 years.
LOL You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. The first couple of days I had braces I was trying to cut up my food and eat softer things but then quickly started eating all the regular foods I had been eating before. There's nothing I can't eat with braces on that I could when I didn't have them on. Right now is a different story though because I just had upper and lower jaw surgery 2 weeks ago so I literally am on a soup diet... which really sucks.
Upper and Lower Braces Applied: December 4th, 2009
Lefort 1 and BSSO Surgery: February 11th, 2011

Ellebraced

#4 Post by Ellebraced »

Peapod

It is possible, I think on day 3 I went out and ate lots of normal foods but I was on soup and oatmeal until that. Just give it a couple days or weeks. I can even bite into burgers and sandwiches now though a lot of times I prefer to cut into strips and put in the back of my mouth.

It does feel weird at first to eat even rice and sauce or soft bread but it slowly gets better.

Hopefully you have a cordless waterpik because it is the best invention EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is easy to get everything out with the waterpik, A LOT better then brushing alone. If it wasn't for this website I would have never thought of it. My ortho never mentioned it. You still have to floss but it makes life easier

Good Luck!!

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

dwalls32

#5 Post by dwalls32 »

I get braces in 13 days (spacers in 6) and today ate about 4 slices of pizza. Everyone at work asked me why I was off my diet and I said look, in a couple weeks I won't be eating anything like this.

lunadali

#6 Post by lunadali »

Pizza???! What torture!! Lucky you to eat pizza before the braces. Unfortunately I had crownwork done first, so I couldn't even enjoy regular food before getting braced. Pizza..... drool..... maybe if I use my imagination this garbanzo concoction I blended up will taste like pizza.... :wink:

BraceFace2o1o

#7 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

It certainly is a strange feeling eating regular food with braces. I am 3.5 months in and it still doesn't feel right when I eat. The braces + teeth in new positions feels really odd.

All I can say is you will get used to it, it might not feel normal while you're in braces... but you'll learn to find a way round it or just not let it bother you too much.

I hate how I get tons of food stuck under the archwire, looking in the mirror after eating is so gross and reminds me that rinsing with water aftre eating doesn't always get rid of everything (I do this if I am out and unable to brush).

Oh and I can still eat pizza fine with braces, I pretty much eat everything I did before braces - I didn't think I would be able to though, but proved myself wrong.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

belenov

#8 Post by belenov »

i hear you. got mine on yesterday. nothing in my mouth seems to understand what is going on. soaking bread in soup and throwing it back behind teeth. funny at times, ridiculous at others. we will get through this. personally i find it most difficult to smile, damn hooks keep catching my lips. :)

sadpanda

#9 Post by sadpanda »

I was able to eat normally within a few days. I can pretty much eat anything now and it's been close to 7 months. However, I can only eat on my left side because I have a huge gap on the upper right side, and when I've tried to eat on that side before, the wire across the gap popped out. It's happened twice already. It's kind of annoying though. I feel like the teeth on the left are getting a lot more wear and obviously more stuff gets stuck between them. The gap is not being closed, so I don't know if I'll really ever be able to eat on both sides.

peapod

#10 Post by peapod »

Thanks everyone for the responses! I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Although for lunch today braces+cup o noodles=disaster. I'm able to eat pretty much anything now, it's just a matter of how much time am I willing to spend digging out food in the bathroom...and I'm kinda lazy so this might turn out to be a good diet :-)

england

#11 Post by england »

I was on a soft food diet for about a week, now I'm pretty much back to normal, though biting into something with my front teeth still hurts a bit. I had to chew slowly and not bite down all the way with my molars. Eat tiny bites. It will get better!

kaylaa

#12 Post by kaylaa »

Swishing with water is helpful to get left over lunch out of your braces.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~