Elastics...are they always this tight?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

llehsal

Elastics...are they always this tight?

#1 Post by llehsal »

Soooo today I got elastics put in for the first time. I have it on my right side only and it is terrifying. LOL. The assistant was sooooo grouchy today, she just gave me a mirror to see what she was doing when putting them in, gave me some extras and that's it. Ummmm....I dunno what's going on here, this is new to me...what's happening? What am I to do??? So she finally gave me the guidelines and I thought I was safe.

Then I tried to do two things that sent me off my rockers. I tried to yawn. Yes,,,I tried. I was unsuccessful. My mouth opened half way and that was it. The teeth that the band is attached to felt as though they were being ripped out with a force. No thank you....I'd keep the yawning to a minimum. I tried eating breakfast after. That was the second biggest mistake. I had to chip things like a bird ...even smaller than I already do and things keep getting stuck because now to get my tongue to dislodge caught food is a drama all on it's own.

My question is does this lighten up? Will I remain this way till I get the bands out? Do they slacken up a bit? will I just get used to them? What? Help?

Shelby's Braces Story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35311

Snowglobe32

Re: Elastics...are they always this tight?

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

The elastics will always be tight but you get used to it. Usually after the first week, it is as if they aren't there, painwise that is. The annoying factor doesn't really go away. I had two on each side and I hated them.

I wore them for about 8 weeks. I was told to change them 3-4 times a day and to take them out when eating. I was also told that it takes 9 hours for them to start working and only 1 hour to start reversing.

Try a heating pad when the pain finally starts setting in. If may feel as though someone is pulling your joint, from behind your ear and it hurts like heck. I had problems sleeping the first few nights, I think it might have been ringing in the ear or throbbing, something like that.

It does get better as the time goes on.

bookfairy

#3 Post by bookfairy »

The tightness goes away fast - at least in my case, a few days later I didn't feel the diference at all. I can yawn and even chew gum :wink:

I don't eat with it becuse I am afraid I'll swallow another one!
http://grinningbookfairy.wordpress.com

In-Ovation C for 15 months and 1week on uppers, and 13m 3w 3 days on lowers. Loved it, and love my teeth now!

catgyrl

#4 Post by catgyrl »

I've had mine for about a month now (both sides), and after the first half hour or so after replacing them with new ones, they don't hurt a bit. My lower molars and upper canines do feel a bit more tender, but I can open wide enough to yawn and laugh with no problems.

Did your ortho tell you to keep it in while eating? Mine said I could take them out while eating and brushing. I put in a new pair after every meal. (Snacks don't count.. I just keep them in, if possible) I've tried to be brave and keep them in, but I just end up snapping and or eating them. Haha

You WILL get used to them. :D

Cathy

BraceFace2o1o

#5 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I think it depends how often you are meant to change them and what strength they are etc.

I got elastics last week to move 2 teeth (2nd lower premolars). My elastics go from the upper 2nd premolar to the inside (I had 2 'buttons' put on the inner side) of the lower 2nd premolars. My elastics are Otters, whatever that means :lol:, so probably not very strong. My Ortho said to change them every 2 days but if they feel loose to do it sooner.

I don't eat with mine in as they just come off the hooks and I end up swallowing them or they snap. They do feel tight when I first change them and they mess with my speech because of it. When I yawn it's a strange feeling :lol:. They have made my teeth a bit sore, but not too much to stop me eating chewy foods.

They don't really bother me, I just find it a bit of a pain removing them when I eat... would be worse if I was to eat out often and the main thing I dislike about them is how they are adding to messing up my speech (the quad helix is the main culprit though).
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

llehsal

#6 Post by llehsal »

mine are actually Super Strong. The pain is minimal now...but even though he told me to take them out for brushing only, I take them out while eating because it's just not possible for me to eat properly with them. They are sooooo annoying....Yikes

Shelby's Braces Story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=35311

crimsonrayne07

#7 Post by crimsonrayne07 »

I have elastics on both sides. One is called (right side,very strong) Korean and the other is called (left side,very lightweight)Italy. Let me tell you! It was really painful right after wards and a couple days later. I just took pain relievers and went on with my day. I have to take them out to eat and brush my teeth. I've been using them for 6weeks now and now they don't really bother me, just annoying if I want to have a snack I have to take them out, and put on new ones.