Headaches with braces? Arrhhg!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MetalNerd

Headaches with braces? Arrhhg!

#1 Post by MetalNerd »

Hi, I just got my metal braces yesterday (not sure of the brand), but I am getting these insane headaches and can't sleep. It feels like my head is constantly "surging" -- only way to describe it.

I'd like to know if this is an allergy reaction to the metal or a common one to those new to braces.

Thanks!

catgyrl

Re: Headaches with braces? Arrhhg!

#2 Post by catgyrl »

It's very common. At least, it was for me. The minute they put the braces on, I had what felt like a dull headache (sort of like a sinus headache) that lasted for a day or two. I get the same headache after every adjustment, but it usually only lasts a day or so. Just think: all of your teeth are being loosened and moved around in your mouth. There's bound to be some discomfort with that. Just pop some ibuprofen (or yournpain reliever of choice) and ride it out. I would advise taking some an hour or two before every adjustment, too.

Good luck!
Cathy

ashesgap

#3 Post by ashesgap »

There are days I wake up with a headache already starting. It's usual from the sides of my face up. Other days I wake up fine, and then an hour later i'll have a small migraine. Its off and on. It was definetly worse when I first got the braces on. Once you get used to the braces the headaches will lessen, and then you'll get them after adjustments and randomly the rest of the time. Like Cathy said, just take your fav medicine and wait for it to go away.
Congrats on the braces... :roll:
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

orangeracer

#4 Post by orangeracer »

I had one for about a week, seemed to build up and peak at 3 days then it settled down. Just your head bones trying to figure out what is going on, they should adapt before long.

BraceFace2o1o

#5 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I didn't really notice it in the beginning, but in the past 2 weeks I keep getting the same headache most days and I am putting it down to my braces as I've never suffered with headaches for days in a row.

As well as the headache, I'm experiencing pain up the top of my nose, in that area where you get 'brain freeze'.... feels a bit like brain freeze too actually (and no, I haven't been eating ice cream!).
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

sadpanda

#6 Post by sadpanda »

Hi -

At dentakit.com, they have something called GumEase. It's supposed to help with braces pain, but I actually got it to help with headaches because it says that it helps with head pain too. It's kind of expensive, but you can use it over and over. It's basically just this rubbery mouth piece that you freeze and then position it along your gums so the cold will help with pain. I get a lot of migraines that have nothing to do with my braces, so I use it when I have a lot of pain. There are 3 of them in the package.

MetalNerd

#7 Post by MetalNerd »

Thanks all! :lol: Good to know I'm not the only one suffering. I just hope the headache goes away soon. It's been three days now. It's definitely affecting my resolve about wearing braces. What a tough life! :FeelSick: