Shifting a molar in adults - can it be done?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mrbean

Shifting a molar in adults - can it be done?

#1 Post by mrbean »

Hi,

I am a 35 year old male.
I had my front molar in my upper jaw extracted because of a failed root canal.

I am about to start an orthodontic treatment.

My question is could the other two molars that are behind the gap be gradually moved forward in order to close the gap?

I have asked an orthodontist if it can be done. He said he will not do it since it might cause the teeth in the frontal side of the gap to move towards these two molars, and hence shift the center of my bite.

So I mentioned to his a technique called orthodontic implants, that lets shift a tooth without drawing the teeth on its other side. He said he does no use that technique.

He also said that there might be a problem of root resorption of those two molars.

I do know that for a lot of people molars naturally shift towards the gap when there is one, so I am still wondering why can't we do it in a controlled manner?

--------

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to safely move these two molars using an orthodontic implant?

2. How dangerous is the possibility of root resorption if these two molars will be shifted?

3. Is there any other technique to do the shifting that I have not considered?

Thank you in advance.

drrick

Re: Shifting a molar in adults - can it be done?

#2 Post by drrick »

There are a lot of factors that relate to whether this can work or not.
If the tooth was extracted a while ago chances are not good as the bone has already resorbed and the teeth have to move thorough the bone.. You will likley not be able to move both molars, one at the most. Even with orthodontic mocroimplants you will still need braces. This movement is unpredictable at best. RR can be a factor with any movement and this is no exception.

It is far more predictable to have an implant placed where you are missing the molar.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

mrbean

#3 Post by mrbean »

Thank you. It was extracted 5 years ago.

I've been told I could not have an implant there since my sinuses are too thin.

I did not think I would not need braces. I just thought the orthodontic implants would help.

Why would it not possible to move both molars?

drrick

#4 Post by drrick »

You can likely get a sinus lift and still get an implant. That is a routine procedure that is often coupled with implant placement.

Chances are if the tooth was ext 5 years ago there is likely little to no hope that there is enough bone to safely bring the molar forward. It pretty much has to be done immediately after extraction for it to work.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News