braces causing tmj?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VA5

braces causing tmj?

#1 Post by VA5 »

I have been braced for over 2 years now. In the last few days my jaw is KILLING me. It only feels better if I open and close my mouth widely.. it's not really making a snapping sound or anything like that, but it's just really sore. Are my braces causing this? I have seen some posts related to jaw issues w/braces but have no idea how braces relates to it??

Amanda6

Re: braces causing tmj?

#2 Post by Amanda6 »

I had orthodontics as a child, and 4 years later I started to get clicking in one of my TMJs when opening my mouth. The clicking is due to a displaced disc within the joint. It is quite likely that the orthodontics contributed to my TMJ dysfunction.
I am now having orthodontics done again to help correct my jaw alignment, and to improve the functioning of my TMJ.
When you bite, not only do the teeth need to be aligned, but at the same time the condyles need to be correctly positioned within the TMJ in order for the TMJ to function properly. If the orthodontist does not take the condyle position and jaw function into consideration with the treatment, then it can affect the functioning of the TMJ.

VA5

#3 Post by VA5 »

Amanda6 wrote:I had orthodontics as a child, and 4 years later I started to get clicking in one of my TMJs when opening my mouth. The clicking is due to a displaced disc within the joint. It is quite likely that the orthodontics contributed to my TMJ dysfunction.
I am now having orthodontics done again to help correct my jaw alignment, and to improve the functioning of my TMJ.
When you bite, not only do the teeth need to be aligned, but at the same time the condyles need to be correctly positioned within the TMJ in order for the TMJ to function properly. If the orthodontist does not take the condyle position and jaw function into consideration with the treatment, then it can affect the functioning of the TMJ.

Thanks! I will ask my ortho about this at my next visit...

Neya

#4 Post by Neya »

Yes its quite possible braces can cause TMJ/TMD

In my case, I want braces to (hopefully) fix TMJ/TMD caused by bad bite. I don't know, and no one could guarantee it would fix it. It might though.

Im not sure how TMJ/TMD is helped during braces treatment, I dont think you can wear splints/guards. I could be wrong though.

What helps me a lot is hot compressed to the jaw muscles/joints and stretching. This video gives you a good idea, I recently tried the exercises and felt pain free for 3 days.(I stopped doing them.. oops). My problems I've been told are tight muscles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O8ArvMO ... re=related

((MODS Not sure if its OK to post this link. It isn't mine and I dont know original creator. Its just a video that helped me)
It may help. Popping/clicking/grinding noises can indicate joint displacement and degeneration, so I would see a dentist before attempting the above.

poppy123

#5 Post by poppy123 »

hi, ive got this too. I just got back from ortho a couple of hours ago. i cried all the way home as was supposed to be getting braces taken off on 9th March but my jaw locked on monday and is still locked, i can open it about 2 cm's, i had a clicky jaw already and apparently its now misplaced becaused my bite has altered. i am being fitted with a splint next week (have no idea what this is or how long i have to wear it for). He cancelled my de-bracing appt and said will have to wait until my jaw is stabilised, he didnt say if that would be weeks or months. im so gutted. my treatment has been such a breeze until now. its quite strange that i came on here and saw this post. as usual i feel so much better, just reading that other people have got this too really helps :)

Amanda6

#6 Post by Amanda6 »

[quote="poppy123"]hi, ive got this too. I just got back from ortho a couple of hours ago. i cried all the way home as was supposed to be getting braces taken off on 9th March but my jaw locked on monday and is still locked, i can open it about 2 cm's, i had a clicky jaw already and apparently its now misplaced becaused my bite has altered. i am being fitted with a splint next week (have no idea what this is or how long i have to wear it for). He cancelled my de-bracing appt and said will have to wait until my jaw is stabilised, he didnt say if that would be weeks or months. im so gutted. my treatment has been such a breeze until now. its quite strange that i came on here and saw this post. as usual i feel so much better, just reading that other people have got this too really helps :)[/quote]

Hi Poppy,

Orthodontics when done correctly should make your TMJ function better, not worse. Is the orthodontist you are having treatment with a Functional Orthodontist? They are the ones who take the TMJ function into consideration with the orthodontic treatment. If you are not seeing a functional orthodontist, I would suggest you seek a second opinion from one to have your TMJ looked at. I am having orthodontics with a functional orthodontist to correct my TMJ dysfunction which was quite likely caused by orthodontics I had as a child.