ALF Appliance - is anyone having treatment using this ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LadyJennifer

Re: ALF Appliance - is anyone having treatment using this ?

#31 Post by LadyJennifer »

I recently found out about ALF, and I'm happy to hear so many good things from those who've experienced it. I'm hoping to find a provider near me.
Does anyone have any before and after pics?

ellieb

#32 Post by ellieb »

I will see if this works. I don't have a before pic. This is more like a during. But at lest you can see how it fits in my mouth. The next step will be eliminating the flare of the incisors and closing the gaps. The gaps were made by IPR, but the ALF separated them enough so she could even get to the sides..

Nate92

#33 Post by Nate92 »

Bump... How is everyone doing with their ALF?

Alura

#34 Post by Alura »

Hi all, I came across this thread doing an Internet search for orthodontists using the ALF appliance in Dublin, Ireland or nearby surrounding areas. I see there are a good few of you on here receiving this treatment in Dublin. If any of you could recommend your orthodontist to me I would really really appreciate it as I am desperate to find one. I realise this is a very old thread but am hoping this message reaches some one who can help!

annahoix

#35 Post by annahoix »

Hi Linn!
I also live in Sweden and am looking for a place where i could do the AFL treatment. Do you recommend the one you went to? How much did it cost at the end and did your daughter need braces after the AFL? I am 25 years old so it might be more expensive for me. How many times did you have to go there?

I will appreciate any help you can give me!

/Anna

[quote="Linn35"]Hey !

I am living in Sweden in a small town. I visited an orto with my daughter a couple of month ago.
She is suffering of sever crowded teeth in her upper jaw. He said that he had to extract four teeth.
That is what orto do here in Sweden. And then he said that her jawline would reduce.

At home I started to look on the internet and I read about terrible things that can happend .
So I decided to look för a Alf dentist . I found out that their is no one here in Sweden. But I found one in Norway . We have just been visiting him and it will cost us a lot of money.( All dentist care is for free in Sweden for children up to 20 years.)

Anyway I don`t regret it . I am absolutely sure of that this will be the best for her. He didn´t just look on her teeth , also her jaw . Her jaw is cracking and it turns to the left when she is closing her mouth.
And he said that Alf will make this good to. He seemed to be very devoted

And I just told my ordinary dentist about this and he didn´t belive in Alf at all. But I wasn´t expecting anythingelse.

I`m just sorry about that I didn´t know about Alf several years ago.
I do wonder about one thing though, does she need a retainer the rest of her life ? And one more thing
will her face be much wider?

And I don´t understand why it isn´t common with Alf in Sweden . I have phoned a lot of dentist here and they seem to belive that I`m crazy . And said that I shall not belive everything that I read on the internet.
(Sorry for my english)[/quote]

vvirag

#36 Post by vvirag »

Hi, I will get A.L.F. soon, and appr. 6 months later braces, too. I would like to ask you guys, who started 1-2 years ago, what results did you get, were you satisfied, etc. It seems a really good appliance, though there is just little information about them :/
Thanks in advance! :)

jimson13

#37 Post by jimson13 »

Hi I too will be having ALF treatment in Ireland soon. One thing I am worried about is I get tmj pain etc on the right joint. I am hoping the Alf appliance will reduce or eliminate these pains, has anyone experienced this as the jaw becomes more relaxed and thus does not want to click the jaw etc? :)

Ni8

#38 Post by Ni8 »

Anna, did you get the alf treatment?

I'm from Sweden too and I've scheduled a consultation in Norway this summer so it'd be great to hear from someone who has experience!

ALFuser

#39 Post by ALFuser »

Hello,

I may be too late to help anyone with this, but I am undergoing my second lot of ALF treatment, so would be happy to attempt to answer any questions. :)

anna88

#40 Post by anna88 »

Hi Ni8!
No I didn't get through with it yet, basically because I didn't have the money or the time yet but I still want to do it. Did you go on the consultation yet? If you did, what did they tell you? Do you know how much it costs and how many times you would have to go there etc?

And for the rest of you, how much did your treatments cost and how many times did you have to go to the clinic? I want to know if its about the same price in all the countries.

Ni8 wrote:
> Anna, did you get the alf treatment?
>
> I'm from Sweden too and I've scheduled a consultation in Norway this summer so it'd
> be great to hear from someone who has experience!

LMS

#41 Post by LMS »

I'm also from Sweden and would like to get in contact with someone who has completed (or almost completed) an ALF treatment after having four teeth extracted in childhood/adolescence. The two dentists I've had recommended to me are Geir Olsen in Norway and Hugh McDermott in Ireland. Has anyone here had good results with any of them?

rebecca121760

#42 Post by rebecca121760 »

Has anyone used the Alf appliance for an open bite?

Woohoo068

#43 Post by Woohoo068 »

Hi Amanda how was your treatment with Andre Hedger I am due to start treatment with him soon so I would love an update?

Thanks

winningpost1

#44 Post by winningpost1 »

Hi there I am trying to contact Hugh McDermott in Louth but the 2 contact numbers online do not work. Does anybody have a number or email address to make contact?

I have only recently come across alf treatment and I am wondering if my midline both upper and lower can be corrected (or at least improved )and also obtain a wider smile .

My dental history:

I have had 1 premolar and 2 molars extracted from the upper jaw and my midline is off and the right hand side of my upper jaw is now dropping back inwards. I have also had a premolar extracted on my lower jaw left hand side. Thence my smile is narrow on my right hand side as my teeth are dropping inwards and back. The gaps where I had my extractions have also closed up.

I have had invisalign treatment which finished in June 2016 (not knowing anything about alf treatment)and this has made an improvement except it did not address the closed space where my premolars once were and I still have a narrow smile and midline is off both on my upper and lower jaw.

Is there anybody who has had work done with Hugh McDermott and if so do you think he could work on the issues I have just explained.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Lili

#45 Post by Lili »

[quote="Eurodude"][quote="braces2"]Hi, Eurodude, Tracey, Elaine,

How much does your ALF treatment cost or what were you quoted?

I also want to undo extraction treatment. Does the ALF just widen from the middle or can it move the front teeth forward, too?[/quote]

I paid €800 for the ALF up front and €150 for the adjustments every 6 weeks.

The ALF is designed with three loops in the wire, one at the front and two on the sides. Theses loops are slowly widened at each visit creating light pressure to stimulate bone growth along the suture lines. The front loop expands the maxilla crossways / laterally, the side loops expand the maxilla forwards.

My face is changing dramatically, wider cheekbones, fuller lips, stronger chin. Hard to believe[/quote]

Eurodude, hi! Sounds great!
Could you share the name of you ALF orthodontist, please? As I understood he is located in UK?