Debanding soon, but concerned...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gokix

Debanding soon, but concerned...

#1 Post by gokix »

Hi all! Well, my dentist has informed me that my debanding date is only a few weeks away. I've already kept my braces on 2 months longer than originally intended. That is fine by me because I am in no rush, and want to be absolutely sure I am completely happy with the way they look before I have them taken off. A couple concerns though... The first picture was taken in October 2010. The second picture was taken January 2011. I wore elastics from my left canine to the lower left back molar for a few months. This seemed to fix my midline as you can see in the pics. However, the distance between the top and bottom row has decreased so now it feels like the teeth are sitting on top of each other. Also, there are new spaces that are really noticeable when I smile and I've circled them below. I feel as though the first picture is more in line with how far the teeth should be apart. Is the proper term 'Interocclusal distance'? Should I bring this up with my dentist, and is there a way to fix this?

October 2010

January 2011
- midline corrected
- new spaces formed

October 2010

January 2011
- distance between top and bottom row decreased

1fifthmiles

Re: Debanding soon, but concerned...

#2 Post by 1fifthmiles »

hey, i had the same thing as you, just that my dentist used another method to correct my bite.
urm, actually i think its natural to have gaps, if its too far away, you would have overbite.
also, after the correction of overbite, one side of my upper set of teeth protudes, and i was telling my dentist about it, and she asks if its those gaps you were referring to, but i said no. so i asked her to look from underneath.
so i guess, since she asked that qn, it can probably be fixed.

MyLittleTeeth

#3 Post by MyLittleTeeth »

To me, it looks like at least some of the gaps exist just because of the way your teeth are shaped. I think your smile looks great, but if it really bothers you, bonding could probably eliminate the spaces.

TumbleDryLow

#4 Post by TumbleDryLow »

If your teeth meet at the gum but do not meet at the bottom, the reason is due to tooth shape. You can have bonding done (your regular dentist can do it) to correct this.