When in treatment did you get rubber bands?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SilverGirl

When in treatment did you get rubber bands?

#1 Post by SilverGirl »

I just got rubber bands today to work on my overbite. My ortho tells me I'm in the home stretch, and keeps expressing amazement at how fast my teeth aligned, etc. So, I'm just wondering, (but was afraid to ask him!) how long does the home stretch generally last?

So, I was just curious to know how long other people have worn rubber bands, and how close to the end of your treatment it was.

ashesgap

Re: When in treatment did you get rubber bands?

#2 Post by ashesgap »

I am getting elastics at my next appointment, in two weeks. He said i have about 6 months left...i'm going to make myself feel better and say 6-8 months from next month. But i think everyone is different, some people have had elastics at the beginning of treatment. I think you should ask at your next appointment. Obviously you're close and he shouldn't have a problem giving you an estimate. Which is very exciting. Wear those elastics! Good Luck.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

peach

#3 Post by peach »

Oh good grief. I've been in the so called finishing stages forever. I've had elastics on and off throughout treatment. But don't get scared when you look @ my ticker. I'm one of those people who are cursed with slow moving teeth. Since your teeth seem to be movin fast, plan to be done around your original estimate and then you may be suprised if you finish early.

SilverGirl

#4 Post by SilverGirl »

Thanks, ashesgap and peach! I'm mostly afraid to ask him because if I know it's close I'm going to start thinking about getting them off too much, and the braces will start driving me crazy again. Right now I'm used to them as a fact of my life. I should probably just go about my business, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised at one of my adjustment appointments!

Snowglobe32

#5 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I got mine just after I completed the 1 year mark. My estimate was 22 months total. It is different with everyone. I am thankful I am not one of those who had to wear them from the beginning.

Jewles

#6 Post by Jewles »

I had upper brackets, lower brackets, powerchains and elastics from day one. The pain was horrible but atleast I became used to everything at once.
My ortho told me I was in the 'final stage' about 6-7 months in. He did not mention that the stage would last another 18 months! try not to get your hopes up too soon :)

njsuburban

#7 Post by njsuburban »

I just got mine today and I'm 48 weeks in. I'm wearing them in a triangle on both sides. My ortho's original estimate was 18 to 36 months.
Braced Feb. 18, 2010.

ngarner0717

#8 Post by ngarner0717 »

I got my bands in December. I've been in treatment for 2.5 years now. I was quoted 2 years but my teeth had other plans lol. But I was told at my last appointment I have 4-6 months left. However I've been really slacking on wearing my elastics so I'm thinking it will be more like 8 months.

hypocrite opportunist

#9 Post by hypocrite opportunist »

I got mine at my second adjustment (about 4 months). I wear them on both sides 24/7, and I am nowhere near completion of treatment.
Female, Age 31

[/url]

[/url]

SilverGirl

#10 Post by SilverGirl »

Thanks for all the feedback! Sounds like there is a huge range of time in rubber bands. I think I'll just keep assuming I'll be done in my estimated time frame and wear these suckers 24/7, so things keep moving along quickly.

believer1964

#11 Post by believer1964 »

I have been in braces 6 months. I just got assigned elastics today.

Takako

#12 Post by Takako »

I've been in braces over 2 years and not seen a single elastic! I feel like I'm missing out on something, especially since I happen to know my molars and premolars are WRONG; they're open and one of them is tipped in and yeah, long story. But anyway, I've been in "finishing" for eh... a few months at least. Or a year. I forget. I'm back to college now so I can't go see my ortho very often (STIIIIINKS!) which is making this all take forever! I go back in March and won't have seen her since the beginning of December!

catgyrl

#13 Post by catgyrl »

I just got my first elastics today, at 9.5 months. Felt them working right away. I've also snapped and swallowed one already!

Cathy

Jewles

#14 Post by Jewles »

I swallow atleast 2 a day and snap a few a week. You definitely get used to it :P

kaylaa

#15 Post by kaylaa »

I was supposed to get my elastics at my last adjustment in December (5 months in) but he over expanded my arch, so hopefully I get them in February (almost 7 months in). It sucks because I was actually excited to get them :(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~