After braces fitted - your experiences?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flamingo

After braces fitted - your experiences?

#1 Post by Flamingo »

Hello
I had ceramic braces (upper & lower) fitted 3 days ago. My teeth are aching like mad (as i expected them to do!) but i'm just wondering about your personal experiences..... how long did the discomfort last for with you?
I'm amazed at just how hard eating is :) i bit into a very soft sandwich yesterday & nearly went through the roof - ended up having to tear it into tiny peace and shove it into the back of my mouth (doesn't help that my 4 extraction sites are still tender). Hope this doesn't last for too long.......

goin4it

Re: After braces fitted - your experiences?

#2 Post by goin4it »

I was fine on day 1 and 2. Day 3-5 were very painful mostly with the inside of my mouth being raw from the brackets. I am ok now.

jambo532

#3 Post by jambo532 »

I was sore the first couple days. I thought I would never be able to eat again but it goes away. Now I am "relearning" to eat again. I just got 2 2inch springs put in instead of elastics. It's a process and sometimes you have to just deal with the fact that you wont be eating for a couple days haha. Good luck on your journey, it's worth it.
www.allbraced.blogspot.com

JennyLaughs

#4 Post by JennyLaughs »

It took about 6 days for me to really be able to eat "normally" again and by the end of the second week, there was no pain in any of my teeth at all (including those tender front ones we use to tear off bites of food).

GRILLZ

#5 Post by GRILLZ »

the second through fifth days were very difficult and painful for me. it's been 7 days now and things are getting better....i still can't bite w my front teeth, but i can w/ the side of one side of my mouth, the other side is still quite tender to try to bite anything. and now i have a strong cold sensitivity going on w/ one of my front teeth......but things are getting better....slowly. day 3 was the worst for me

Flamingo

#6 Post by Flamingo »

Thank you for sharing :) Got to go back to the Ortho already as the wire came out of the bracket on the back right - not sure how i managed it :(
Hoping to be able to eat normally again soon - really beginning to miss a variety of foods......

Plumcore

#7 Post by Plumcore »

I was the opposite of you. I barely felt any pain in the first couple of days, to the point where i started to worry, that nothing worked. But then i realized that while i didn't feel pain, i did feel a very uncomfortable sensation when trying to bite. Then at about...day 4, it started to really hurt, no matter how soft the food was.

The pain only lasted for about ..5-6 more days, and pretty soon i could eat pretty much anything :3

Ellebraced

#8 Post by Ellebraced »

I find the pain comes and goes. The first 3 weeks I would have one tooth hurt and then next day it would be fine and another tooth hurt. I felt like I had a lot of pressure and now nothing, no pain at all for a good week or 2 but my lower front teeth are wiggly.

I could eat pretty okay after 3 days, not with my front teeth though in the last couple weeks I have had a lots of sandwiches and a couple burgers I easily ate with my front teeth.

Everybody is different some people have so much pain they want them out, others like me so far not too bad, very very few pain killers.

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

Jewles

#9 Post by Jewles »

I found the first 2 weeks to be really painful, but it took atleast 6 months until I could bite into sandwiches or burgers without having to cut them up into tiny pieces. It took 6 months for my extraction gaps to close so the constant movement meant constant pain particularly in my canines. I still struggle to bite into really hard things like hard biscuits or apples but other than that I can eat anything :)

loradora

#10 Post by loradora »

It'll get better soon. I can't say I had actual pain, but it was uncomfortable for a few weeks. Good luck.

tashay1985

#11 Post by tashay1985 »

I had to giggle a little bit because I did the same exact thing, ripping food into tiny pieces and pretty much shoving it down my throat because I couldn't bear to chew it. I had 6 extractions and I hardly ate anything for about 2-3 weeks. Just like you said, even a soft piece of Bread Hurt so bad! :-= The constant aching after my extractions & my braces were fitted felt almost unbearable and I was having second thoughts like "my goodness what did I get myself into!!!???"...i was told my teeth would hurt for just a few days but mine hurt for more like a week and then slowly came to a dull ache that was much more tolerable. I took a lot of over the counter pain medications but they didn't do much for me. It definitely gets better over time, as you get used to how the braces feel. I am over a year into treatment and every time I go in for a adjustment, the tightness lasts about 2 days but it is much less painful than when they were put on, I actually LOVE seeing my Orthodontist now it's been a Great experience, Have faith it will get better and then you can eat almost anything you want, I remember eating my 1st cheeseburger after getting braces I was in Heaven! lol :wink: