Slenderizing?????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

llbill

Slenderizing?????

#1 Post by llbill »

My ortho said at my first adjustment I have to have another molar band put on and something called "slenderizing?" done on my bottom middle teeth can anyone tell me what the heck that means?? It sounds like they need to go on a diet or something. Lol. Thanks of anyone can help.

Lori

SilverGirl

Re: Slenderizing?????

#2 Post by SilverGirl »

Hi, there! She's probably talking about IPR, which is when they file in between your teeth to make them thinner. I had this done on my bottom teeth, and also between my two top front. They then put a powerchain on (take Advil regularly before and after, because this can cause a lot of soreness) to close the gap. The filing is no big deal - your mouth gets pretty dry from the tooth dust, but it doesn't hurt at all. Good luck!

llbill

#3 Post by llbill »

Thanks for the tip!! Wish I would've known to take Tylenol before having them put on!!!

Two questions:

What's a powerchain?
Any idea why they want the teeth to be thinner?

I of course didn't ask him. Lol

GRILLZ

#4 Post by GRILLZ »

can this cause any tooth sensitivity. i think i had this done between my two lower bottom front teeth, and now one of the teeth is incrediably sensitive.....even air hurts it......and cool water, yikes! i'm ok w/ warm stuff but ouch it's sooooo sensitive now.

alimommy1

#5 Post by alimommy1 »

llbill wrote:Thanks for the tip!! Wish I would've known to take Tylenol before having them put on!!!

Two questions:

What's a powerchain?
Any idea why they want the teeth to be thinner?

I of course didn't ask him. Lol
Hi llbill, it's usually to gain a little bit of space to move, tilt, or rotate a tooth or several that wouldn't move without that space. A powerchain is like the individual ties but all connected, it helps close spaces.

llbill

#6 Post by llbill »

Thanks so much!! I feel like an idiot now. I'm 28 and have entered this realm with absolutely no knowledge. What a nice thing to have. This website is awesome.

alimommy1

#7 Post by alimommy1 »

Yes it is.... I don't remember anything like this being around the first time I had braces. This is one of the best braces-related sites I have ever seen, when I was researching something I found like 47 pages of posts from people HERE and not much from any other sites online.

DrJasonKTam

#8 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Slenderizing, IPR, interproximal reduction, filing, and shaving. These are some terms for removing some of the enamel between teeth. It is completely safe if done properly, does not require a needle, and will not cause cavities or sensitivity.

Check out this link for a video on the procedure: http://www.torontobraces.ca/gettingstarted/#4
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Lynette

#9 Post by Lynette »

I've had this done a few times because I have a tooth that is slightly too big to fit in it's spot. My ortho uses a strip that to me feels like sandpaper and files the sides of that tooth. It doesn't hurt, but it is slightly unpleasant. Not looking forward to getting it done again at my next adjustment.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

hsandra

#10 Post by hsandra »

Hi! I know it's been a while since the last answer but I want to ask about the slenderizing and as there's already a topic about it...
well the thing is that I'm going to get invisalign but first they say that they have to slenderize between my teeth...does it hurt? I mean, with the drill they can't accidentally touch my gums and I think it would be painful...I'm a little bit worried about this as you can see... opinions would be apreciated :)

VA5

#11 Post by VA5 »

I haven't gotten it done but have read many posts here taht say it is it completely painless.. it's like a mini file or something, not really a "drill" in the cavity-drilling kind of drill. maybe I'm wrong, but I heard the file is really thin and small and they take off a really small portion of the sides of your teeth. I wouldn't worry if I were getting it done, and I'm a big chicken :)

Jensniffer

#12 Post by Jensniffer »

I will be getting this done on May 27 when I get my braces on. My teeth are quite tight but I do not need any pulled. My Ortho said that he would do the slenderizing tooth by tooth as needed when he put the brackets on. Does that mean 'powerchains' in my future?

threescompany

#13 Post by threescompany »

I'm supposed to be getting this done at my next adjustment. In my case, it's because my bottom teeth are slightly wider at the top, so when they are straight there's a little triangle of space at the gum line. The ortho said that by doing a little filing (or IPR) he can make them fit together better without that little space.
Braced on 3/18/11 at the tender age of 40

Jensniffer

#14 Post by Jensniffer »

Does anyone know if they can also use the same technique for fixing the bottom of some teeth that are different lengths? For instances, due to one of my front teeth being pretty turned in, it is almost rounded on the bottom instead of straight just from wearing down. I hope it can be fixed too :)

Holland

#15 Post by Holland »

If you're scared about getting your teeth filed don't worry, I was so nervous but it ended up being nothing!