can flossing recede gums

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

59fifty

can flossing recede gums

#1 Post by 59fifty »

i have a triangle gap in my front two teeth and i think i made it more visible by flossing
when i floss i usually dont push into the gumline but after my cleaning i realized ur supposed to

so i did and it seems more visible, but my other teeth dont look receded from touching the gum line
i thot ur supposed to push into the gumline? but wudnt that also cause recession

luchababe

Re: can flossing recede gums

#2 Post by luchababe »

The spaces between my teeth look a little larger after flossing too. But I think that's just because I've cleaned out the gunk and saliva that was stuck in there. Then a little while later things look normal again. Maybe it's just a temporary thing for you?

rhomboid

#3 Post by rhomboid »

That is a good question, can flossing promote gingival recession? I have wondered if aggressive flossing, isn't all flossing a bit aggressive, could a aggrevate your gums just as improper brushing would.

BraceFace2o1o

#4 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I do think we need to be careful when flossing, just like when we brush. When I first started flossing I couldn't quite get the hang of it and I would end up rushing and snapping the floss into the gum line, not good. Over time I became better at it and just had to be a bit more patient and take my time to floss more carefully.

You are meant to floss the gum line, by sliding the floss up the side of each tooth and then into the gum line. I keep the floss tight to the side of each tooth to avoid snapping the floss into the gum line and to avoid pushing up at the center piece of the gum that sits directly between 2 teeth (the bit that forms a triangle type shape inbetween the teeth). I hope that makes sense :?
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

drgnchsr36

#5 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Yeah, when I first started flossing, I would floss too fast and accidentally cut into my gums. After that, I slowed down and made sure I did it correctly. Cutting into gums is painful..

BraceFace2o1o

#6 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

drgnchsr36 wrote:Yeah, when I first started flossing, I would floss too fast and accidentally cut into my gums. After that, I slowed down and made sure I did it correctly. Cutting into gums is painful..
All this careful flossing and brushing ends up being quite time consuming though doesn't it :-+. Maybe it will be a bit quicker once the braces are off.

I've had my upper braces for 2 months and the only thing I hate about them (I hated quite a few things in the first 2 weeks lol) is the brushing and flossing :roll:
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

drgnchsr36

#7 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Chrystal wrote:
drgnchsr36 wrote:Yeah, when I first started flossing, I would floss too fast and accidentally cut into my gums. After that, I slowed down and made sure I did it correctly. Cutting into gums is painful..
All this careful flossing and brushing ends up being quite time consuming though doesn't it :-+. Maybe it will be a bit quicker once the braces are off.

I've had my upper braces for 2 months and the only thing I hate about them (I hated quite a few things in the first 2 weeks lol) is the brushing and flossing :roll:
Agreed!!! I never realized how easy I had it before I got braces.. I wonder how kids are with them. My niece is pretty lazy about taking care of her teeth in braces. I think if she were older (she's a teenager), it'd be different.

At that age, I don't think I paid much mind to my teeth other than brushing them.

UGHBRACES

#8 Post by UGHBRACES »

You should floss right up underneath the gumline to where the gum is attached to the tooth. Go right up there and run it along that gumline, gently of course. The little flap of gum in between the teeth that isn't attached may shift a bit when flossing, which is what may be giving you the appearance of a bigger black triangle. But that loose flap of gum should shift back into place fairly quickly, it does for me.

meemsie

#9 Post by meemsie »

Just be gentle, but remember that flossing is super important because the plaque, tartar and general gunk will definitely lead to pockets and then recession if you don't remove them. Next time you go to the dentist, perhaps have your hygienist demonstrate for you? My hygienist used to keep asking me if I needed another flossing lesson. She stopped asking though after I got a bit more serious about my routine and even added a water pick.

drrick

#10 Post by drrick »

you are more likely to get receeding gums by NOT flossing.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News