Retainer Question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ccrisis

Retainer Question

#1 Post by ccrisis »

Not happy today -as I'm finally getting de-braced in two weeks, but was told I cannot have a permament retainer, due to the fact that my bottom teeth would hit and break it. I really don't want to mess with removeable retainers. Can anyone shed light on the subject for me? Do you think that it may just be a cost issue? Not looking for ward to wearing plastic in my mouth every day for six months, then EVERY NIGHT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!! HELP!!! I've been in braces for almost four years and have been very patient - but I've finally had enough!!! thanks for listening :)
Braced 03-09-07
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

drrick

Re: Retainer Question

#2 Post by drrick »

Upper fixed rets are FAR more rare than lowers for the exact reason you mentioned -- the lower teeth hitting them and breaking them off. You may be a bit upset now but would likely be more upset if it continually breaks and your teeth shift.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

ccrisis

#3 Post by ccrisis »

drrick, that really does make me feel better. I guess if I got used to braces, I can get used to anything. Thanks so much for the perspective!!!
Braced 03-09-07
Ceramic Uppers
Metal Lowers

sarahorsomeone

#4 Post by sarahorsomeone »

I have a permanent retainer at the back of my top teeth, and I've never bitten it off (mine is just a thin bit of wire held in place with a few drops of glue) in fact I've had it left on all through my second lot of braces for jaw surgery.

However, I'm still going to have to wear removable retainers top and bottom, so it doesn't solve everything! As far as I know a removable retainer only stops the teeth which it's applied to moving relative to one another, and only to a certain extent; you could still find the teeth start shifting position or angle as a group. In my case it's just a belt and braces (no pun intended) approach, not an alternative to a removable retainer.

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

After 33 months in braces I got them off in August and was given Essex retainers top and bottom and was told to wear them 24/7 for one year then every night for life. I hated them at first. Was annoyed and the constant in and out to eat, was annoyed at the way they looked, annoyed at cleaning them...IDK, they just took the wind out of my sail during a time when getting my braces off should have been exciting. But you know what? I am totally used to them now and it actually feels weird NOT to have them in. You are correct. You can get used to anything.