Salt Water Rinse Question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JennyLaughs

Salt Water Rinse Question

#1 Post by JennyLaughs »

I know this may seem like a silly question for a lot of reasons, but I just wanted to ask, would rinsing my mouth out with salt water too often corrode, rust, or in any other way do damage to my brackets and wires? I've been rinsing about 3 times a day, but I would like to do it more to help ease the pain and speed up the healing of my "ground hamburger" spots (that's what they feel like to me anyway). Any info would be very helpful, thanks in advance!

Audra

Re: Salt Water Rinse Question

#2 Post by Audra »

Orthodontists would not use a metal in your mouth that would corrode or rust

JennyLaughs

#3 Post by JennyLaughs »

Thank you for your reply! I knew it was probably a silly question, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask someone else's opinion

sarahorsomeone

#4 Post by sarahorsomeone »

It's worth pointing out that saliva contains a certain level of salt anyway. Not in such a high concentration perhaps, but it's constantly coating your brackets and wire and they manage ok with that!

Although in contradiction to the previous poster (and myself I suppose), I did manage to rust through the wire in my Hawley retainer (without using any salt water rinses); but my orthodontist had never seen anything like it and wouldn't even believe me until he saw it with his own eyes; so I don't think that's a normal occurance! I wonder perhaps if there was something faulty about the wire in my case.