Incisor and premolar extractions on lower jaw

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hazel

Incisor and premolar extractions on lower jaw

#1 Post by hazel »

I had my third adjustment last week and my ortho informed me that I need to have another tooth extracted. I was quite shocked as I've had an incisor extracted and now I need to have a premolar extracted. The space created by the extraction of the incisor has been taken up and I still have crowding on the other side. Now I'm very concerned about symmetry issues on my lower jaw. Will contouring fix this problem? Has anyone else had similar extractioins? :Questions:

BracedVeryLate

Re: Incisor and premolar extractions on lower jaw

#2 Post by BracedVeryLate »

I would seriously question this. I would even get a second opinion. My bottom jaw is now too small for my top jaw and I cannot have an incisor implant put back in to correct it. I am in the process of getting 2 second opinions to resolve this. I wish I hadn't gotten the tooth pulled. I don't meant to sound scary, as extractions are needed in many, many cases, but please seriously consider the impact. I wish I did!!!

lilone

#3 Post by lilone »

Can the ortho not do a little shaving of individual teeth to make some of the needed space? I'm surprised that he or she wasn't able to foresee this before treatment. I would seriously consider another opinion.

hazel

#4 Post by hazel »

I am surprised my orthodontist didn't forsee this too! The annoying thing is that I had been to an other orthodontist before who suggested exactly the same treatment-which I didn't like at the time as I thought it would be strange having three incisors and I had postponed treatment by a year. On this site someone else had a lower incisor removed and treatment seemed to be proceeding well from the photos they posted. So I didn't give it too much thought anymore.
As to the possibility of having some teeth shaved...I don't think so as the crowding on my right side is still severe, it is obvious more space is needed. So a tooth has to be extracted....I'm really demoralized! I know I'm still going to end up better than before the brace but good symmetry would have been nice!
My ortho had measured all my teeth, X-rays and a mold of my jaw were taken.....I was told that my teeth didn't move as expected. Maybe it's because my teeth have very long roots. I don't know! I know loads of people who used my ortho and they all have beautiful straight teeth! When I was told about this extraction I was so shocked that I didn't ask anything.....not that I usually get elaborate answers for my questiions, but anyway. :x
I'll ask my regular dentist about contouring, hoping this would minimise the difference between the incisors and the canines which are almost the same size. :evil:
Thank you for answering!

BracedVeryLate

#5 Post by BracedVeryLate »

Hazel, just curious if you have resolved this issue?
I am now seeing another ortho who is using a removable appliance to move my bottom incisors back to where they were, prior to the tooth being unnecessarily pulled out and the incisors pulled back. The space will be hidden behind my canines with some bonding.

I too got the tooth pulled because I saw so many extractions going well here. I wish I had seen some other opinions and alternate methods. It's my own fault, I didn't gather enough data. I thought "who has the time to look into every possibility of every doctor's recommendation?" Well, I am making the time now! My kids are not going to suffer the consequences of extractions.