Repositioning Brackets? Why?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blackapple

Repositioning Brackets? Why?

#1 Post by blackapple »

Well I am in for some more pain in a few weeks as I was told many of my brackets are being removed and repositioned. I just don't understand the rationale for this. Weren't they positioned well when they first went on. Obviously things are working as my teeth are steadily moving and already at the four month mark I am in elastics. I seriously enjoy the weeks in between adjustments as I start to dread each and every one of them. I am fine until the ortho assistants start messing with stuff. Funny how naive I was going into this process just thinking they were going to give me some brackets and wire and that would be it. There is way more to this process than I would have ever imagined.

TumbleDryLow

Re: Repositioning Brackets? Why?

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Bracket repositioning is common and normal. Done sometimes to get better root positions, or sometimes for better tooth positions. When my brackets first went on my teeth were terribly crooked. The brackets were placed initially to correct the crowding. Some were then repositioned to get better leveling and root positions.
And yes, I agree. Orthodontics is a more convoluted process then I think any of us ever imagined.

blackapple

#3 Post by blackapple »

Thanks a million for your response. I think I have a better understanding now of how the position of the bracket and wire determine the degree of movement in a certain direction. Funny reminds me of some of the laws of physics. I must admit I am way more interested in the why's of this process than I ever thought I would be. Still not looking forward to some of them being removed.

GRILLZ

#4 Post by GRILLZ »

blackapple: so sorry you are having to go through additional discomfort w/ bracket repositioning! this too shall pass! i'm amazed at how interested i've become in the entire process....i actually ordered a dental book the other day....i'm wanting to learn as much as i can about teeth and everything dental/orthdontic....it really is amazing complex what they do....there are a number of planes of symmetry they have to deal w/ front to back, horizontal, vertical.....

ashesgap

#5 Post by ashesgap »

I was wondering, when you reposition don't you have to go back down to the tiny wire? Which happen to be the most painful wires, in my opinion.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

SilverGirl

#6 Post by SilverGirl »

I just had a bracket repositioned, and it was on my most crooked tooth (one of my front two teeth that was tilted and overlapping the other). My wire on top does look skinnier, but I don't remember what number he said, and I did find my teeth hurt a lot more after this particular adjustment, but then I also got IPR and a powerchain to close the gap, so that could be why it hurts more.

Good luck, though, blackapple - hope it goes well for you!

TumbleDryLow

#7 Post by TumbleDryLow »

ashesgap wrote:I was wondering, when you reposition don't you have to go back down to the tiny wire? Which happen to be the most painful wires, in my opinion.
Not in my case. I was in the second to thickest archwire before the repositioning and kept that wire afterwards.

musiclady2340

#8 Post by musiclady2340 »

So glad you asked tis question. I go in tomorrow and will be having some brackets removed and replaced. I was wondering why that was necessary. :tingrin:

drrick

#9 Post by drrick »

Very common to reposition brackets for 'fine tuning'
Other doctors may do some wire bending for final detailing.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

psych braces

#10 Post by psych braces »

Learned something again...at least it sounds plausible. Jaw snapping occurred for me at month 3 and 4 then subsided. It always caught me completely offguard resulting in a biten tongue and cheeks (ouch!!). Once it happened while I was engaged in a conversation and although I was not speaking at the second it occurred there were several people staring at me and watched the horror in my face when the jaw snapping freaked me out and caused pain from cheek bite. Crazy...glad it was brief. I hope the issue resolves quickly for you.

LARRYBOY56

#11 Post by LARRYBOY56 »

I too, have had brackets repositioned and due for another couple to be moved next appointment. Normal.... means things are moving and they are adjusting for that movement and going on to the next round of positioning. :D
Larry,

blackapple

#12 Post by blackapple »

Thanks Drrick and everyone for your responses.

Matilda

#13 Post by Matilda »

ashesgap wrote:I was wondering, when you reposition don't you have to go back down to the tiny wire?
I'm not certain whether the above applies to everyone but it does to me. I went from the thickest to the thinnest wire today. My power chains were removed as well.

Ciara

#14 Post by Ciara »

I had a bracket reposition at my visit last month. It was to give a better position to help rotate a tooth. When I went back yesterday my ortho said it had much improved and now I have power chains on both jaws.

JeniK

#15 Post by JeniK »

I was told I will have some of my brackets repositioned in the future. When my teeth start to move a bit..he will be able to get the brackets where they should be.