What to do during the braces process?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drgnchsr36

What to do during the braces process?

#1 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Just curious, did any of you listen to your iPods or something not to focus on what was going on? Or did the ortho talk to you during the process? I was thinking of bringing in my iPod and listening to music or something...

Lynette

Re: What to do during the braces process?

#2 Post by Lynette »

My ortho lets patients bring cds and he plays them on his computer while he puts the braces on. I didn't bring any cds so he put the radio on for me.

I'm sure listening to your iPod would be ok. Maybe only put one ear phone in so you can hear your ortho if he/she says anything.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

drgnchsr36

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Ahh, thanks! Yeah, maybe just in one ear...

RHOyally Braced

#4 Post by RHOyally Braced »

My dentist's office has tvs in every room with cable. They give you the remote, so I think I watched either Rachael Ray or the View. (don't remember which one)
~RHOyally Braced~

luchababe

#5 Post by luchababe »

My ortho has tvs set up, maybe one for every 2 chairs lined up. But when I'm tipped back I can't see them, only hear them, plus I have to take my glasses off. I just closed my eyes and thought of work I had to do, planning ahead. It helped keep my mind occupied. Sometimes I would just go blank and feel what she was doing, so I could reminisce later. :D

ashesgap

#6 Post by ashesgap »

My ortho and his assistants are always chatting. Some days he has fun facts, like how far away can a cow smell water. Or like my last adjustment the assistants were shocked when they asked him if he would be honest about not likeing a christmas present, he said he would tell the person he didnt' like it. Another time we talked about if we would want to be called by a stranger who found our lost pet that was ran over by a car. Sometimes the topics are already started when i get there, and other times after. Its never boring and just another reason why i'm very pleased with my ortho and his low tech office. :D
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

drgnchsr36

#7 Post by drgnchsr36 »

thanks guys for sharing!!

I'm not sure if the people here will talk or not, they're very friendly though. Maybe they will chat and pass the time away.

I didn't see any TVs, so I think I'm outta luck there. I'm wondering if I'd fall asleep, but I have a feeling that won't happen.

Snowglobe32

#8 Post by Snowglobe32 »

The process of getting braces on went very quickly for me. The assistants explained everything she was doing or was going to do. And there was the occassional "turn towards me", "open wider", "move to the side", "bigger smile", "are you doing alright".... so listening to music wouldn't have helped.

It really is over before you know it.

drgnchsr36

#9 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Ah, I didn't think about that. Thanks.

The appt. is going to include molds, x-rays, etc.. and then putting the top braces on.

Ellebraced

#10 Post by Ellebraced »

Hi

I am with snowglobe32. It is kind of interesting to listen to everything going on and it does go by really fast.

Good luck!! Bring your ipod just in case but you will not need it.

Elle

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

drgnchsr36

#11 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I'll bring it to waste time waiting for my appt. It's bright and early in the morning, so hopefully the wait isn't too bad.

kgstar

#12 Post by kgstar »

My dentist has a juke box where you can select what music you want to play, but everyone has access to it and who knows how long it will be until your song comes on! hee hee. I like the ipod idea but my little one wants to come and watch mommy get a "Metal Mouth" :|
KgStar

29 y.o.
Uppers: Ceramic Invu
Lowers: Metal Damons

Find my story here [url=http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=38160]

UGHBRACES

#13 Post by UGHBRACES »

Ipod is not a good idea, you need to be able to communicate back and forth with the person putting the braces on. The time passes really fast getting them put on.

drrick

#14 Post by drrick »

I usually watch food network on the overhead TV. Oh you meant what should the pt do :)
Yuo can listen to your ipod if you want just good idea to keep at reasonable volume so you can follow any directions.
We have some pts do that. Others watch our TV. Others just close their eyes and rest. Whatever floats your boat.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

drgnchsr36

#15 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Sounds good! Just was trying to think of something distracting..