Help -- really bad shooting pain!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracketRacket

Help -- really bad shooting pain!

#1 Post by BracketRacket »

As I was eating soup for dinner, I got a really, really sharp pain in the lower left side of mouth. It felt like one tooth hurt very badly, then radiated forward and back. The soup wasn't very hot, but I thought maybe it was sensitivity (got my lower braces on Monday). Then, when I ate something somewhat cold (salad), it hurt again. Same when I drank something, and then when I *tried* to brush my teeth.

My teeth have been sensitive before, but nothing like this -- this is the worst tooth/jaw pain I have ever felt (aside from maybe right after the surgery, but that was more long-term, mostly lower grade pain, except right after expanding.)

This subsides within minutes, but hurts really, really bad (I think I said that already!). I like to think I'm not a wuss, but this is seriously painful (I can't do anything but sit and clutch my face, I feel a little woozy when it is "done.") The pain does nearly disappear when I just don't eat or drink or do much of anything, although it does seem to crop up when I talk sometimes.

I was fine this afternoon.

Any idea what this could be from? It's not one specific tooth -- I don't think, anyway -- but hurts anywhere on the left side from my canine or even lateral incisor back to my molars. My jaw even feels painful at times. Could it just be from the braces, or did the braces maybe stress something else? Can the need for six or seven root canals crop up at once? I hope I'm joking with that one.

I'll call my ortho or my dentist, but it is late Saturday/early Sunday (of course!) and I'd rather wait until Monday. But this is serious pain....and if I can't eat or drink anything, that's not good. I'm hoping it will disappear as quickly as it appeared. :(

Anyone ever have anything like this? Any ideas?

NervousNewbie

Re: Help -- really bad shooting pain!

#2 Post by NervousNewbie »

It does sound quite similar to what happened to me - I made a thread about it:

http://archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37060

If I remember correctly, it took just under a week for the pain to completely subside.

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

BracketRacket

#3 Post by BracketRacket »

Thanks, nn.
It sounds like yours was more like one tooth, right?
I can't tell, but mine feels like more than one tooth involved, unless the pain radiates and makes it feel that way. Ugh.
It might be a little better today, but I'm doing my best not to irritate it. It's hard to judge how it's "feeling" because it feels pretty normal until something gets to it, so to see if it hurts, I have to do something to "hurt" it.
Weird...

Plumcore

#4 Post by Plumcore »

Could very well radiate. The jaw is funny like that.

BracketRacket

#5 Post by BracketRacket »

Now I don't know what to think. It hurt today after awhile while eating (for example, I had soup, then pasta, then a chilled cake (yay, I can eat again!) I felt twinges while eating the pasta, then it started hurting when eating dessert -- like it had just had enough irritation and started hurting at that point. It hurt pretty bad, worse than yesterday, but not quite as bad as Saturday (it didn't hurt as bad or for as long).

Ugh...I'm afraid that if I go to the ortho or dentist, they'll take one look and determine that one of "someday" root canals will have to be now or something like that, as opposed to just sensitivity or irritation. :-( I know *ignoring* the problem doesn't make it go away, but...