Underbite treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Danatlive

Underbite treatment

#1 Post by Danatlive »

I've been having orthodontic treatment since July 2008, and at first my experience was going well I was happy with my teeth. Now, in the past 9 months I've started developing an underbite, I'd say it was more related to my teeth than my jaw and my facial profile isn't really that affected but it is a bad underbite! It's more than edge to edge, I can more or less get the tip of my tongue up behind it. My jaw has also started popping out on the left side of my face when I open my mouth wide and my bottom set of teeth are misaligned with my top; bottom are slightly more over to the right. Thus my teeth only meet on the left size. My far upper back left molar (I don't have wisdom teeth yet) is not aligned with the bottom however the right is.
I feel like rather than my problem getting better it is only getting worse and rapidly for that matter.
It may be worth mentioning that I had a quad helix for 3 weeks max. and I was having problems with it actually staying in my mouth so they just took it off after it had came out twice.

Currently I have reverse curve wires on my uppers and lowers. I would like to know what these do exactly.
And I am also wondering if it is usual for my underbite to get worse before it gets any better.

uvraise

Re: Underbite treatment

#2 Post by uvraise »

I would think your ortho wanted your top palate expanded in some way either from true expansion if your young enough and your palatine bones haven't fused yet or more of a tipping of your teeth. If you state your QH was only in for a short time I don't see how either is possible. As for your under bite, I started out with worse than your describing. My ortho corrected it with a combination of different elastic configurations. I think you should bring your concerns with your bite up with your ortho and ask them what they're going to do to correct it! Good luck!