Impacted canine exposure surgery -- sedation?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracedmom32

Impacted canine exposure surgery -- sedation?

#1 Post by Bracedmom32 »

So I have my consult with the surgeon about extracting 2 of my baby teeth and exposing/gold chaining my impacted canines scheduled for Monday the 27th. When I called they asked if I wanted to be sedated or not and I'm not sure. They suggested a consult before I decide and said my decision may be based on where the impacted teeth are located. I was awake to have my impacted wisdom teeth removed and it 2 hours of torture so I'm leaning towards sedation.

I know there is already an impacted canine club thread but I didn't see too much info about whether people opted for sedation or not.

I would really appreciate any feedback on your choices and experiences!!

Thanks!

DrJasonKTam

Re: Impacted canine exposure surgery -- sedation?

#2 Post by DrJasonKTam »

This is exactly it. It depends on where your canines are located. Some approaches may be more difficult and uncomfortable. Another factor to consider is your own personal tolerance for a procedure. Speak to the surgeon to discuss their recommendations. Keep us posted!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

fluffybottom

#3 Post by fluffybottom »

I opted for sedation when I had my exposure done. My canine was in a deep and awkward position, yes, but I am also a big baby. Even if it had been an easy exposure, I probably still would have opted for sedation because I don't want any awareness of that kind of procedure.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

ngarner0717

#4 Post by ngarner0717 »

I had the surgery done 5 times (don't ask why lol). The first time I opted for the laughing gas then the next 4 times they just numbed everything up. It really depends on your pain tolerance and where the teeth are located. But if your insurance will cover being sedated I would go that route. Mine didn't and I didn't have the extra money to pay for it so I just dealt with it. Best of luck to you.

wiredmouth

#5 Post by wiredmouth »

I have an impacted canine too! it's on the leftside of my mouth. It has good angulation apparently! I hope it all works well for you! Usually sedation costs more, that's what my surgeons office advised me of when i have my bottom impacted wisdoms removed!

I've created a blog of my journey with orthondotics if you wish to follow along and share in the experiences.

http://letstalkaboutteeth.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

MyLittleTeeth

#6 Post by MyLittleTeeth »

I had an impacted canine exposed under general anesthesia, not by choice - if it were up to me, I would have opted for local, but my tooth was lodged in the roof of my mouth in a strange position, so my oral surgeon insisted on general.

I think there are definitely some benefits of undergoing procedures with GA -obviously you feel no discomfort during the procedure, since you're unconscious. For me though, the kicker was the COST - the bill for the anesthesiologist was more than the cost of the surgery itself. My insurance covered a little of it, but I had to cough up the majority out-of-pocket. Plus, the IV sedatives made me feel really nauseous and loopy for several house after the surgery was over, which I didn't like. For such a short procedure (the surgical assistant told me the it only took about ten minutes), I would definitely have gone with local, if I had a choice.

I guess it comes down to personal preference - I've had numerous dental procedures, including extractions, done with just novacain, and being awake for them doesn't bother me at all. Others prefer to be blissfully unaware of all the "fun" stuff (cutting, stitching, etc.) that goes on during oral surgery, which is definitely understandable too. If finances are at all an issue for you though, I'd definitely find out ahead of time what the total cost of the procedure/anesthesia will be, and how much will be covered by your insurance.

Good luck!