Nearing debanding - not happy with right side of my teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

QT

Nearing debanding - not happy with right side of my teeth

#1 Post by QT »

Hi I am nearing the end of my treatment and the ortho thinks its almost time for debanding but I am not happy with the way he has kind of tipped in my right teeth from my later incisor to the second premolar, in order to for the bite to fit together. My midline is way off but that is because I have a smaller jaw on the bottom and only surgery can fix my discrepancy. He still said that he could give me a good result without surgery and I did understand that my midline could never line up without it, I was fine with that as long as my teeth were straight and the bite felt good.

Its starting to make me depressed as when I look at my front teeth I can clearly see how much more my lateral incisor rotates in along with the tipped in canine compared to my left one which doesn't curved in so much its a perfect curve on that side. And I can see it with the braces on, imagine when they are off how obvious it will be. I want him to fix this as I refuse to leave it this way :( I pointed it out to him at my last adjustment and he only agreed that the lateral incisor needs to come out 'a little bit' but I can see its needs more than a little bit. Its even hitting on my lower tooth but he says can't do anything about it just have to wait until bracket comes off. Because of this I'm hating my teeth.

When I see other peoples teeth in braces and without braces, I can see that both lateral incisors are even in terms of how they curve in to follow the arch. My next appointment is in 7 weeks, I was going every 2 weeks before for the 'finishing stage', but now he wants to leave my next adjustment for longer to give my teeth time to move. I have no idea what he is moving as he has placed a bend on my canine but I don't know if that is to tip the tooth outwards so the lateral can rotate out abit?? I'm hoping that is the case! Its hard to talk to him of my concerns and issues as he is quick to disagree and say its the way its supposed to be but I KNOW what I see. Anyone else had similar issues to me?

[/url]

UGHBRACES

Re: Nearing debanding - not happy with right side of my teet

#2 Post by UGHBRACES »

Maybe the result is just the compromise you had to make because of not getting the surgery? I am not sure.
If he says that's the way it supposed to be, it doesn't seem like he is able to do what you want. Best thing to do is to consult with other orthodontists in your area and see what they have to say.

Flaka

#3 Post by Flaka »

QT, I understand your concern very well. Talk to your ortho and insist to get it fixed before taking them off. You must be satisfied with the results, is your teeth, your time, your money. I just got my braces removed after 32 months because I am moving to another country and can't afford continuing the treatment over there. As you, my ortho tipped my right molars/ teeth too much in order for my bite to "fit" and I am now left with an overjet and rotated premolar. The right lateral all the way to the last molar are tipped outwards and my front teeth are now flared out. I had no choice but to take them off but after almost 3 years I expected my teeth to look better than what I started and I hate them now. I honestly think my ortho didn't put much effort in my case, there were many things that went wrong and I pointed out to him during the treatment and all he said was he will fix that later and at the end, after he extruded my teeth too much, he couldn't intrude them anymore.

I am sorry you are feeling depressed QT, I do know how you feel. You are still on time, just talk to him about your concerns and let him know your expectations. Make him listen, mine didn't, all he can tell me is that he is sorry and gave me a bunch of excuses, even admitted he should "maybe" have approached my case differently. Well, three years later, is too late.

Hang in there and cheer up :)

QT

#4 Post by QT »

UGHBRACES - I did not know that I would end up with a result that I have now, he had original plans to move my bottom teeth to the right I guess to help correct midline as best as he can, but he ended up not doing that. I wish I had brought that up as soon as I realised. He just didn't tell me and I kept going along thinking maybe this way is better.

Flaka - I am so scared my ortho is going to say sorry but there is nothing else I can do to but to do this option. I am already becoming increasingly anxious and upset as I can see that the tipping in of my right side is getting worse, my lateral incisor is so curved in compared to my perfect left side and my canine is also not as visible like the right side. Its been nearly two weeks since my last adjustment and it seems my bite is also getting worse (funny as I am apparently almost at debanding stage!?@!). When I bite my lower jaw wants to 'naturally' sit more on the left so my back molars now don't touch on the right. :? When I chew (just realised now after eating toast) that the right canine is now rubbing and grinding with the bottom teeth as I chew. Is that normal? Do you think its a good idea to call the ortho to address my concerns? My next appointment is 6 weeks away, I can't wait that long! Though its xmas in a few days its such an awkward time to fit me in.

On the top teeth I only have braces on the front 8 teeth, bottom I have full, reason being is originally I had linguals on the top but it was waaay to expensive to get linguals on all top teeth and the ortho said he could still do my case with 8 braces on the top teeth (to help bring the cost down), I got ceramic/metal on the bottom teeth. I trusted him and went ahead. I now wish I had just gotten full ceramic on top in the first place as its not bad at all I was self conscious about 'visable' braces. I got switched to ceramics on top for the final stage. I keep thinking would my result be different if I had full braces on the top?? I am willing to pay extra to get full brackets on top, I realise it may add a few extra months to my treatment but I just don't want the result I have now! I keep thinking he will say its too late or can't be done. I payed so much money I can't walk away unhappy.

I am so sorry Flaka that your ortho left you with results like that - the ortho should have taken responsibility and fixed it! Makes me angry that you had no choice but to walk away after 3 years of going through. What are you going to do now? Do you have a pic of your teeth?

[/url]

Flaka

#5 Post by Flaka »

QT, I think you should talk to your ortho if you don't want to wait till next adjustment. You want to make sure you communicate with him so he knows you aren't happy with the results so far. I understand our teeth may never be perfect but realistic expectations should be discussed when we are at their office and at the first consultation.

I am not happy with my results. I don't think there is a major difference between my before and after photos. Yes, there were some improvement, but at least I wanted my bite to be somehow normal,. I didn't want slanted teeth, a tipped upper molar and an overjet as results. He didn't discuss this with me at the beginning, and everytime I asked about something, he will say it will be corrected and here I am now. I hate smiling now. Here are some photos.
http://picasaweb.google.com/cymar78/Tee ... directlink

Hope you can get everything taken care off. If you don't mind staying a few more months in braces in order to get the results you want and it is possible, I think is worth it.

Good luck and Merry Christmas QT! :)