OVERJET...SECOND OPINION PLEASE!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Farrah12

OVERJET...SECOND OPINION PLEASE!

#1 Post by Farrah12 »

This is my second time in braces(first time was a year) as i was just not satisfied with how things turned out. I was estimated that 6 monthes would do the job, and this month would now make it a year. I'm paying out of pocket for this past year and want to basically get the teeth I had envisioned. My original ortho moved, so i was assigned a new orth halfway through treatment(which pissed me off because no one notified me of this change).

Last week when I saw my ortho it seemed like she was ready to take my braces off...but I just don't think they're where I want them to be. . Everyone seems to think I'm just being obsessive, but I feel like I still have too big of an overjet? I've expressed that i would like my teeth pulled in more. She has done that, but then the tooth next to my two front teeth had the root protruding from the gum, so she had to pull them forward a little again. I don't know if that's what will prevent me from getting rid of my overjet. Its like I don't feel any contact from my two front teeth and my two lower...like i could pull noodles through when i eat...is that normal? Also my front upper teeth still look kind of slanted outward from profile view IMO

Here's front and side profiles. excuse my dry skin! http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/trammm/teeth/

Someone please give me a second opinion on this. I don't want to rush to deband like I did my first time.

RedDress

Re: OVERJET...SECOND OPINION PLEASE!

#2 Post by RedDress »

Did you have IPR at all?

hotpass105

#3 Post by hotpass105 »

I'm not orthodontist, but your top set of teeth certainly appear to be angled a bit outwards. Not having brackets on the top kinda leaves me at a loss for what you'd anchor elastics or what ever to correct the arch. I can tell what you mean though. Hopefully it is resolved.

Farrah12

#4 Post by Farrah12 »

Hotpass105, that's what I thought...I dont see how my ortho does not see this... What do you mean by i don't have brackets on the top? you mean the bottom?

RedDress
Yes I've had IPR done a couple of times already.

sadpanda

#5 Post by sadpanda »

Hi -

I do see in one of the pictures that one of your front teeth (or maybe next to it?) looks slightly slanted outward. However, as for the overjet and anything else, I think your teeth look perfect and really nice. The braces do look ready to be taken off. I really try to be objective about people's pictures, but I might have inaccurate ideas for you because I have a large overjet and overbite and I'm hoping that in the end, my teeth look exactly like yours. I do not believe your overjet is noticeable and I'm not even sure it could be pulled in that much more. :-#)

Lynette

#6 Post by Lynette »

Your teeth look really familiar. Have you posted before? or maybe your teeth look similar to someone else's on the board.

If you've already had IPR, then unfortunately I don't think your teeth can be pulled in anymore unless you get extractions.

I think your teeth look gorgeous though :)

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

drrick

#7 Post by drrick »

I dont think you can reduce it any more w/out lower braces.

I wouldnt want to tip your uppers back anymore they seem pretty upright to me already

hard to get all of the info from a few pics but I think you are pretty much where you are going to end up. Some minor changes perhaps by doing some reprox on those wide centrals but would be minimal change inthe OJ.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

BraceFace2o1o

#8 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I can see the angle/slant of your front teeth (outwards), but aren't they meant to be like this somewhat? I mean, the upper and lower front teeth aren't meant to sit perfectly vertically straight (looking from the side) like this | and that there is meant to be a small angle? It's hard for me to explain what I mean, seeing as I am not an Ortho lol.

But, personally, I think your teeth look great and your 'overjet' looks ok to me too. But again, I am not an Ortho and can understand why everyone feels differently about their outcome after braces. I would personally be very happy with your result.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

UGHBRACES

#9 Post by UGHBRACES »

I would think your overjet is well within acceptable range, but I am no pro. Your teeth are really nice!

Farrah12

#10 Post by Farrah12 »

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I will talk this over with my ortho.

My first time in braces, my ortho never really explained much everytime I came in for an adjustment. I always thought it was normal and would just trust her judgement since it is her profession. However after reading the forums on here, I now feel like I should always speak up, even if I maybe annoying. lol