Waterpick

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Plumcore

Waterpick

#1 Post by Plumcore » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:10 am

Ok so my dentist and ortho recommended i get a waterpick to help prevent my dreaded gingivitis that seems to recur every now and then. Now...i received it 2 days ago, and used it yesterday for the first time. Aside from the splashing (which i expected) uhm...it made my lower gums bleed :| Even at the "low" intensity setting. Has anyone ever experienced it?

fosterp

Re: Waterpick

#2 Post by fosterp » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:14 am

That probably means your gums are infected and you need to keep cleaning them. Assuming you don't have an advanced form of the disease, then regular cleaning should fix it within a few weeks.

Plumcore

#3 Post by Plumcore » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:21 am

My gums were a little red around the edge of the tooth but thats it. Nothing too advanced, no gum recession or anything. And i had a cleaning not too long ago. Turned my gums from red to baby pink.

dangerdude

#4 Post by dangerdude » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Are you still using regular floss wires? A waterpik is not a replacement for flossing. It mainly gets food out and it does a great job at it. I use a waterpik + regular floss.

Plumcore

#5 Post by Plumcore » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:43 pm

I do. I floss once or twice a day and use the waterpick after every meal.

Epurica

#6 Post by Epurica » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Plumcore, I usually have very sensitive gums, but the Waterpik works ok for me at the 4 setting (at most). I'm thinking that maybe you were overzealous? I did once get a problem in a spot where I kinda insisted (no bleeds tho`). I use the 1 setting on my recent extraction spot and it's fine (and heck, if that area is not sensitive, I don't know what is).

Plumcore

#7 Post by Plumcore » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Maybe? I don't know. They haven't bled since, but then again i only used the first setting. Sooooo splashy. XD Kinda funny actually.

Epurica

#8 Post by Epurica » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:38 pm

I did find a way to not splash so much. I keep my lips almost closed, leave just enough space for the water to flow out freely, but cover the head with my lips :) No more splashing!

Plumcore

#9 Post by Plumcore » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:45 pm

Yeah. I'll try that! When i showed my dad the awesome power of the waterpick he slowly backed away :-*

teacakes

#10 Post by teacakes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:15 pm

i just ordered one of these. Can't wait to try it out

NervousNewbie

#11 Post by NervousNewbie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:29 pm

When I first started using it I had an incident, but I think it's just because I hit a sensitive spot at an angle. I felt a sharp pain and then had just a bit of bleeding, but any time I drank anything cold for nearly a week it hurt a lot. I haven't had any pain or bleeding since.

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey