I want to get them off early..

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Michael1

I want to get them off early..

#1 Post by Michael1 »

I've had my braces on for over 2 years, I am 21 years old and just am totally over my braces.

My bite is pretty decent & my top teeth are straight which is what I cared about mostly.

I was told I would be in braces for roughly 24 months. It's been 25 and about 4 months ago when I asked my Ortho (who is awful btw) how much longer it would roughly be she didn't have an answer for me which was frustrating.

I have an appointment in a week or so and plan on asking her again. If she doesn't give me a decent answer, I am going to tell her I want them off within the next few appointments. She can't refuse if I finish paying my bill which has only like $400 left on it.

Has anyone here gotten them off early before the Ortho wanted?

UGHBRACES

#2 Post by UGHBRACES »

Yes you could demand to have your braces off, I don't know why you would want to though.

Its not like your dr. is intentionally trying to torture you, or she loves you so much as a patient that she wants to keep you around as long as possible. The 24 months term you were given is just a(educated) guess. But everybody is different and its not an exact science.

Michael1

#3 Post by Michael1 »

UGHBRACES wrote:Yes you could demand to have your braces off, I don't know why you would want to though.

Its not like your dr. is intentionally trying to torture you, or she loves you so much as a patient that she wants to keep you around as long as possible. The 24 months term you were given is just a(educated) guess. But everybody is different and its not an exact science.
It's not even that though. It's just that she is absolutely horrible and in 25 months has said like less than 30 words to me. I asked her for a rough guesstimate and she couldn't even give one.

I am just over the experience. My teeth look fairly decent.

UGHBRACES

#4 Post by UGHBRACES »

You probably weren't at a point where she could accurately tell you how much longer though, so she would rather not speculate. This is typical, my ortho was the same way.

peacefrog

#5 Post by peacefrog »

If I were you I would just wait it out. I had my braces as a kid taken off a couple of months early because we were moving and my parents didn't want to deal with transferring. I am back in braces 15 years later for another 2 years.

rhomboid

#6 Post by rhomboid »

Off early, big mistake. Hold your nose and carry on.

sammywantstraightteeth

#7 Post by sammywantstraightteeth »

You've spent all that money and gone to all that effort, seems a shame to end early. Only you know how you feel though, so if you really can't stand them any more then discuss this with your ortho. If you do decide to stop now make sure you go through whatever retainer phase your ortho recommends so that you keep what progress you have made.

Treatment started: 13th July 2010.
http://sammiesbraces.livejournal.com
http://pics.livejournal.com/sammiesbraces
Expected finish: 14th June 2011.
Upper Trays: 21
Lower Trays: 24

Lynette

#8 Post by Lynette »

Maybe next time you go in instead of asking how long you have left, maybe try and ask what is left to do.

You have paid all that money, may as well get them as perfect as they can be.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

dezlorelle

#9 Post by dezlorelle »

I would think this is typical. My ortho avoids answering every time I ask "How much longer?" I think it's a skill they learn in school.

Blossom

#10 Post by Blossom »

I got mine off about 6 months early. It means I have to wear my retainer every day as much as possible for 12 months (would have been 6 mths and then every night indefintitely) but for me it was worth it. :)
[/url]

VA5

#11 Post by VA5 »

I would be totally upfront w/your ortho. Ask her if she can take them off early and if it'll jeopardize anything about your teeth. If your bite isn't right, for example, you might create a whole slew of other problems. I'm not sure you want to have to visit her or somebody else again in another year or two do you?

Otherwise, you have to understand that orthos just don't know how long your teeth will take. They can make an educated guess based on how they have been moving, but other than that, until you get towards the end they cannot tell you. So, ask her "what is your BEST EDUCATED GUESS" for how much longer i'll be in braces. And then tell her you are sick of it, and what the consequences would be if you just got them off right now.