Moving teeth following a filling

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

c4tty

Moving teeth following a filling

#1 Post by c4tty »

Hi,

I don't have braces but I think I might need one after a filling I've had :-/

I had a filling done on my premolar a couple of months ago and I think it was overfilled/not filled in the right place. so my bite was wrong. I went back and had it filed down again and it was still not quite right but it was ok enough, or so I thought.

Over the past 2 weeks my front tooth on that side has begun twisting foward slightly. It feels weak I think because it's in a new position but it is not wobbly. I am really worried about it getting even more wonky..

Do you think getting the filling filed again will do the trick or will I have to have a retainer? I'd quite like them to be straight again as I've never had any trouble with them before. i think the overiflling meant my bottom set of teeth pushed forward and then pushed into my top teeth, pushing one forward.

i'm really worried, any advice would be great. phoning dentist on Monday but stressing about this majorly so would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Lynette

#2 Post by Lynette »

I think it's excellent that you are addressing this issue asap.

I can't really recommend anything without seeing a pic of your teeth. But if the rest of your teeth are fine and if your bite is fine, it can probably just be fixed with a plate or retainer.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

drrick

#3 Post by drrick »

It is highly unlikely that a high filling in teh posterior can move an anterior tooth enough to notice it.

Not saying your filling isnt high and that you dont need bite adj but typoically doesnt move a tooth 3 or 4 in front of it.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

c4tty

#4 Post by c4tty »

Hi,

No sorry that's not what I meant. The filling has meant my teeth don't fit together anymore where the filling is, they can't find the right place to sit so my jaw has moved and now my bottom teeth at the front are hitting against the top ones. So it's not just the filling, but the effect it's had on how/where my teeth sit. do you have any other ideas of what it could be? just seems odd that for 24 years my teeth were perfect, and now soon after the filling and my teeth not fitting together, i get a tooth being pushed out of place! maybe it is a coincidence!

anyway so i went to the dentist today and she's referred me for an occlusal analysis (?!!!!) and thinks i will need a splint to help my jaw forget this stupid new position it's fallen in to. and then they might file some bits of my teeth down. and THEN i may need a brace for this front tooth if it sticks out anymore, argh! just want my next appointment so the analyst can fix me! lol...

anyone had a splint fitted before? or the analysis? what are they both like?

lianas

#5 Post by lianas »

since its just a filling perhaps you can ask them to take the filling completely out. See if they just have the thing way to high for small adjustments to make a difference. I think a filling in the back can make all your other teeth fit together wrong. If they start to adjust the other teeth to fit with this new bite things just get worse because there just chasing it all over your mouth. Its better to start with the original problem. This new jaw position could also make your jaw start aching and headaches too.

lianas

#6 Post by lianas »

http://clenchingsyndrome.com/the_balanc ... conce.html
h
here is a link that shows how bite splints work and how they need to be balanced for them to work correctly it shows pictures of them and also things to look for if you have a bad bite.

click on books and on the right it will show 4 books you dont have to hit donate to read

lianas

#7 Post by lianas »

A high filling on a premolar should make it feel like your trying to push your jaw forward Go to a mirror and put your teeth together, smile look in the mirror, slowly very slowly open and close your mouth your jaw will shift to the opposite side of the high premolar. what it looks like is you cant open your mouth straight up and down it will shift to the right or left and then back to center