last consult..

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drgnchsr36

last consult..

#1 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I went to my third and final consult (for different orthos), and he stated pretty much the same as my first ortho stated - but with a bit more details. The thing is, he's a bit less than the first ortho. I'm debating. I really liked the first ortho and her staff, I'm having one last consult with her to discuss a bit more detailed questions that I didn't even dream of having the first time I went to her. After that I'll decide.

I have a deep bite, deep overjet, a bit of crowding, and a midline shift.
I would need braces for about 2yrs with elastics and a bite appliance for 6mths, then retainers. I requested the Hawlys since I don't have the discipline to always take the Essix retainers out to eat. The first ortho didn't mention a bite appliance. Those don't look fun.

I'm worried that the deep bite will get fixed, but be stuck with a massive overjet issue - I guess it depends on how well the elastics work.

Is it less painful to just have the tops on first?

Are bite appliances a pain?

felicia

#2 Post by felicia »

You cannot eat with Hawley retainers either.

drgnchsr36

#3 Post by drgnchsr36 »

But you can drink?

Hmm, he stated I could. Odd.

He stated if I wanted ceramic, more than likely I'd want an Essix for the top and Hawly for the bottom. As long as I can drink tea or hot chocolate, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

macgirl4ever

#4 Post by macgirl4ever »

Hot liquids can warp retainers ( especially the essix) and colored liquids can stain the retainers (especially the essix). The only thing my ortho permits is drinking water and taking pills you swallow with them in. Retention is super important, even more important than compliance during braces treatment, (this is my second round) and you should have a good idea of what it will look like. I would clarify with the ortho who told you that and ask about the possibility of having bonded retainers that you can eat and drink almost anything you'd like.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

drgnchsr36

#5 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Ah, thanks.

I did ask about bonded bottom retainers, but was told that my teeth probably won't change or move too much after braces. I'll re-ask that question though. I may need to have something to keep me from grinding my teeth on the retainers. But, am hoping the braces solves that issue too.

TumbleDryLow

#6 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I have upper and lower Essex retainers and got sick of taking them out to drink. So I don't. I use a straw. I drink coffee, tea, hot chocolate with a straw. So far, so good.

drgnchsr36

#7 Post by drgnchsr36 »

thank you for the tip!