Unsatisfied with my orthodontist's work. What should I do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JohnDoe

Unsatisfied with my orthodontist's work. What should I do?

#1 Post by JohnDoe » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:56 pm

I wore braces for a year. After the braces came off my orthodontist had me on Invisalign retainers for 5 months. I wore them every day and removed them only to eat and brush my teeth. The problem is that to this day my teeth have not stabilized. Not only that, but they have shifted and new gaps have formed between them, even though I have worn the retainers as indicated. My orthodontist blamed the failure to keep my teeth in place on subconscious bad habits on my part. I don't know if that's true, since the supposed bad habits are subconscious, but the treatment has lasted far longer than promised and the result so far is unsatisfactory.

What are my options?

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Perhaps you should try a Hawley retainer instead. It can be tweaked to help move your teeth slightly to eliminate the gaps you mention.

Also, I'm surprised that your orthodontist said to only wear the Essix retainers (which is what they are properly called) for five months. It can take much longer for the periodontal ligaments to stabilize, depending on what was corrected in your treatment.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

JohnDoe

#3 Post by JohnDoe » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:50 pm

bbsadmin wrote: Also, I'm surprised that your orthodontist said to only wear the Essix retainers (which is what they are properly called) for five months. It can take much longer for the periodontal ligaments to stabilize, depending on what was corrected in your treatment.
Five months 24x7. Then only at night.

But I still must wear them 24x7 because if I wear them only at night the teeth shift significantly.

dangerdude

#4 Post by dangerdude » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:55 am

You could always sue him in small claims court.

But didn't the ortho already do his job? He made your teeth straight? I think that's how a judge would decide.

JohnDoe

#5 Post by JohnDoe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:41 pm

dangerdude wrote: But didn't the ortho already do his job? He made your teeth straight? I think that's how a judge would decide.
I don't know how a judge would decide such a case, but when people pay to have their teeth straightened it's probably because they are looking for something that will last longer than a few months.

I'm also not sure the treatment is done yet.... The orthodondist had me come back to his office for a follow up for a reason.