Does everyone need spacers put on before braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kimmie117

Does everyone need spacers put on before braces?

#1 Post by kimmie117 »

My appointment is on Tuesday to get the full treatment. My ortho never said anything about spacers and I only heard about it from this forum and then when both my sisters (who had braces back then) asked when I was getting mine on. I also asked the assistant was there anything else I needed to get done before the treatment and she said no, we did everything already (xrays, photos, etc)

I'm getting In-Ovation C's, if that helps any.

So, my question is--does everyone needs spacers? Or is it selective depending on the case? I've been counting down--and will be disappointed if Tuesday comes and I'll need more stuff done instead getting the braces put on. I do plan on calling to ask on Monday though. Thanks & have a great night!

xox--Kimmie

macgirl4ever

#2 Post by macgirl4ever »

Spacers are only used if your ortho plans to use metal bands instead of directly bonding the bracket to the tooth. The only sure fire way to know is to call but some indications for using molar bands seem to be oddly placed fillings, ortho preference, or needing a lot of pressure for
bite correction. I also got molar bands n two separate occasions. I had my seconds banded when my brackets were bonded and then my third molars about 14 months later as a problem with alignment arose.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

Lynette

#3 Post by Lynette »

The first time I had braces I got spacers and then molar bands. This time, I didn't need spaces because I got brackets glued directly on my molars.

If they said you're getting the full treatment and to set aside 1 and a half hours for your appointment, then it's safe to say you are going to get your braces put straight on :)

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

kimmie117

#4 Post by kimmie117 »

Lynette wrote:The first time I had braces I got spacers and then molar bands. This time, I didn't need spaces because I got brackets glued directly on my molars.

If they said you're getting the full treatment and to set aside 1 and a half hours for your appointment, then it's safe to say you are going to get your braces put straight on :)
YAY! Thanks so much for the reply! They did say it would take 2 hours, so hopefully I wouldn't need to put spacers in then! :) I'm so excited but so nervous now!

VA5

#5 Post by VA5 »

I had brackets put on one or two of my teeth, and they put the spacer on basically minutes before they put the bracket on. I was totally expecting to have to wear spacers for at least a week.. so when I got none, I thought I wasn't going to get any brackets but on banding day, I got both spacer and bracket on at the same visit. Weird right? But, it worked fine. I feel lucky I didn't have to wear the spacer for longer than that.

drgnchsr36

#6 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I'm not sure if I'm getting spacers or not. They didn't mention it. At my first appt., they're doing the x-ray, molds, etc and the top braces at the same time. They stated it would take about 90 minutes.

kimmie117

#7 Post by kimmie117 »

VA5 wrote:I had brackets put on one or two of my teeth, and they put the spacer on basically minutes before they put the bracket on. I was totally expecting to have to wear spacers for at least a week.. so when I got none, I thought I wasn't going to get any brackets but on banding day, I got both spacer and bracket on at the same visit. Weird right? But, it worked fine. I feel lucky I didn't have to wear the spacer for longer than that.
Ohh cool! How long was the spacer in for then?

kimmie117

#8 Post by kimmie117 »

drgnchsr36 wrote:I'm not sure if I'm getting spacers or not. They didn't mention it. At my first appt., they're doing the x-ray, molds, etc and the top braces at the same time. They stated it would take about 90 minutes.
I'm not sure either since they never said anything about it, and I never asked bc I've never heard of it til now! But I'm calling tomorrow to find out
:D

drgnchsr36

#9 Post by drgnchsr36 »

Let us know what they say!

Maybe I'll add that to my question list. I have a bunch of questions that I may be going in to ask the ortho before my braces day. I'm not sure if it's a waste of time or if I should take the time to ask those questions beforehand.

kimmie117

#10 Post by kimmie117 »

drgnchsr36 wrote:Let us know what they say!

Maybe I'll add that to my question list. I have a bunch of questions that I may be going in to ask the ortho before my braces day. I'm not sure if it's a waste of time or if I should take the time to ask those questions beforehand.
I just talked to them and I will definitely not be needing spacers put in! My ortho will be putting brackets back there instead. I don't think it's a waste of time at all, so you should definitely ask! I stayed up late last night worrying about this (I'm a loser, I know :oops: ) and I've read this and it calmed me down a lot because I was too antsy just waiting for this morning to come around so I can call & ask. I'm getting fully braced tomorrow morning. I'm so excited & nervous at the same time! :lol:

kimmie117

#11 Post by kimmie117 »

kimmie117 wrote:
drgnchsr36 wrote:Let us know what they say!

OH, sorry..I forgot to add this link in for you:

http://www.archwired.com/spacers.htm

haywire

#12 Post by haywire »

i have metal bands and i never had spacers
they went in pretty hard though.
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

kimmie117

#13 Post by kimmie117 »

haywire wrote:i have metal bands and i never had spacers
they went in pretty hard though.
Are yours bracketed instead?
In-Ovation C top&bottom
treatment time: 21 months

Follow my blog for more updates:

http://kimmie117.blogspot.com/

haywire

#14 Post by haywire »

i don't think i understand the question

i HAVE metal bands, two on the upper left side, one on the upper right, and one on the lower left.
on the lower right only have a normal bracket

this configuration had a purpose in my case
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

kimmie117

#15 Post by kimmie117 »

haywire wrote:i don't think i understand the question

i HAVE metal bands, two on the upper left side, one on the upper right, and one on the lower left.
on the lower right only have a normal bracket

this configuration had a purpose in my case
OOHH Okay, sorry I misread! Getting too antsy for this treatment to start!
In-Ovation C top&bottom
treatment time: 21 months

Follow my blog for more updates:

http://kimmie117.blogspot.com/