Relocating in 8 months - should I wait to get braced?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RedDress

#31 Post by RedDress »

sparklingwater wrote:
RedDress wrote:THE KEY POINT

Jeasus, if you don't even have any job in London yet - why wait...

If I don't get a job, I guess braces won't be my priority anymore.
As much as a nice smile is one of my biggest desires, paying bills and feeding myself might come first..

Soo sorry!
I assumed, since you were asking about starting braces now that you can afford them now.
But then you should definitely wait till you are financially secure to afford braces. No question about it.

VA5

#32 Post by VA5 »

fluffybottom wrote:
VA5 wrote:
fluffybottom wrote:It's worth going to a consult in your area just to get an idea of what needs to be done. If they tell you that you'll be in braces 9-12 months, it might be worth starting now and commuting the distance to the ortho in the last few months. If it's a more traditional sentence of 18-24 months (or more!) then either wait until you move or start with a London ortho now and commute to the office until you move. Commuting early in your treatment rather than later might be better anyway -- my adjustments were much further apart in the beginning (8 to 10 weeks apart) than at the end (every 1 to 2 weeks). I'd advise against changing orthos in mid-treatment; you'll end up paying sooooo much more 9 times out of 10.
Wow, you are going every 1-2 weeks? What do you get done during your adjustments these days? How long have you been on that schedule?
Well, nothing at the moment! I got my braces off in June. ;) But towards the end, the time between adjustments rapidly decreased. I went from 4 weeks to 3 weeks to a couple 2 week adjustments to a few one week adjustments. They were just little tweaks to get my teeth juuuust right. A bend in the wire here, a bend in the wire there..
aw, okay. I can't wait for me ot have to go in that frequently for tweaking.. it must have been a relief to finally get to that stage. i am at the 3 week stage. i anticipate i'll be here for a couple more months and then hopefully i will hit the 2 week stage soon after, lol. can you tell i'm just dying to get out of these?

Flaka

Re: Relocating in 8 months - should I wait to get braced?

#33 Post by Flaka »

If your financial situation is not very good at the moment and you will be moving and looking for work, than I will wait to get to London first. Also, as other people mentioned, you might have to pay more once you change orthos. I am moving to Manchester from the US in two weeks and I have been in braces for over 30 months and I am not done. Because I am moving, my ortho gave me the option to keep the braces and continue the treatment in the UK with another ortho or take them off as they are. Well, initially I was going to keep them on but after contacting different orthos, my ortho told me I will have to pay between 2K and 3K pounds including retainers and removal of braces. I have already paid $7,000 here in the US and right now I have no money to continue my treatment there and I am not happy with my teeth and bite right now. I feel I still have at least 9 months to go. I am very sad to have to take my braces off and I hope in a year or so I am able to get braces again. At this point I wonder if it was all worth it.