Relocating in 8 months - should I wait to get braced?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sparklingwater

Relocating in 8 months - should I wait to get braced?

#1 Post by sparklingwater »

Hello everyone,

I'm in great need of advice. I'm currently living in the north of UK (Manchester) but next year, around august, I will move to London (which is about 2.5 hours by train, for those who don't live in the UK.) My question is: should I wait till I'm in London to get braced?

Ideally, I'd prefer to start treatment now. I've had a first consultation and feel quite comfortable with the orthodontist I've chosen. But I just thought about this relocation issue now and I feel uncertain. When I'll be in London, I will probably have to go back to Manchester for every adjustment, and that will cost a lot of money.

Any advice?

BraceFace2o1o

#2 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

This is just my personal opinion, but if it was me, I would t and wait and have some consults in London once I had moved. Although deep down I would be keen to start now and not sure I'd be able to wait! :), but that's just me.

How do you feel about travelling so far if a bracket pops off, or you need a wire trimmed etc... it's those unexpected in between adjustment journeys, too.

I don't know how often adjustments are, maybe they are different for each individual, but personally, even if my adjustments were every 6 weeks I wouldn't be cool with travelling 2.5 hours to get there and then back again. I guess it's what you feel you can cope with time wise and what you can afford in travel costs.

I don't have many local Orthos, so I was considering going out of town... but after doing the maths I worked out that the transport would just work out too expensive for me just for the regular adjustments. Also allowing all that extra time out to get there and back, taking a day off work rather than just the morning/afternoon.

I have luckily found an Ortho in my town, although traffic makes my journey twice as long, I am glad I don't have to go out of town.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

sadpanda

#3 Post by sadpanda »

I would wait until you move. It's very difficult to change orthos in the middle of treatment and it's very costly to travel for adjustments. And, if you have an emergency like a loose bracket or a wire that comes out of a bracket, it will be hard to get it fixed quickly if you have to travel far to the ortho. I know the feeling of wanting to get braces as soon as possible. If you're only moving in 8 months, you could start the process by finding an ortho in London, travel for a consultation, and maybe set a later date for when you should get braces.

Lynette

#4 Post by Lynette »

I just started braces and I am due to move in the next 6 months.

I thought about waiting until I got set up in my new area, but then I realised 8 months is a decent chuck of treatment time that I can accomplish before I move.

People move and change orthos all the time. I admit it might not be the easiest thing but it's not impossible.

Before I go I am going to ask my ortho if he can recommend anyone around my new location. If he doesn't know anyone, I'll just call some orthos in my new area and ask if they accept transferring patients. Then i'll just collect all my records and moulds and present them at a consultation with my new ortho.

The new ortho will mostly likely charge a consultation fee and then it'll be up to him/her to figure out where to go from there.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

RedDress

#5 Post by RedDress »

If you really really like that ortho and want to stick to heim here it what you should consider: adjustments may happen once in a couple of months or even three month. Especially after you will have been 8 month into treatment. For some of us it may only be once in 3 month. Self ligating braces require less frequent ajustments. Ask that ortho that you have chosed about it. There is another thing however: some unexpected problem, like a bracket coming off or poking wire when you will have to make emergency appointment. But those things may be fixed by somebody else in London. Ask your ortho again, may be he can refer you to somebody in London for emergency visits. Just a suggestion, off course.

sauerkraut

#6 Post by sauerkraut »

I second sadpanda's suggestion. Get a consultation or two with a London ortho now, before you move but before you commit to the Manchester one. Then you've got more info on which to base your decision. You never know, you might end up preferring the London ortho. OR the London fees might be so outrageous that it pays to commute to Manchester. (Just by way of example :) )
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

RedDress

#7 Post by RedDress »

sauerkraut wrote: the London fees might be so outrageous that it pays to commute to Manchester. (Just by way of example :) )

good point!

Off: i am sitting in a hotel and need to go out watch the race... The only reason I am still sticking around is I cannot find my socks! :lol: :lol:

haywire

#8 Post by haywire »

my opinion: i wouldn't wait

2.5h is not that far
MY STORY
Braces on 23/07/2009
Braces off 10/12/2010

part time essix hater.

BraceFace2o1o

Re: Relocating in 8 months - should I wait to get braced?

#9 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

sparklingwater wrote:When I'll be in London, I will probably have to go back to Manchester for every adjustment, and that will cost a lot of money.
I just thought that if the original poster is saying that travelling for the adjustments is going to cost a lot of money, then paying the fees for a new Ortho to take on her case (if she starts treatment in Manchester then relocates and has to change Orthodontist) isn't going to be saving them any money. You normally have to pay some kind of fee for a new Ortho to take on your case, even though you've already paid a fee to your current Orthodontist. Also, if a bracket pops off etc and an Ortho in London could replace this, they will most likely charge for those appointments also.

It really depends what you can afford. I can just about manage the £100 per month for the next 24 months, I personally don't have another £50 to pay out on petrol purely for adjustments every 6-12 weeks... over 2 years, that adds up. I have a car, but public transport might work out even more expensive, trains certainly aren't cheap in the UK!

But saying that, sauerkraut makes a good point! :)

Just don't rush into anything.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

RedDress

Re: Relocating in 8 months - should I wait to get braced?

#10 Post by RedDress »

Chrystal wrote:
sparklingwater wrote:When I'll be in London, I will probably have to go back to Manchester for every adjustment, and that will cost a lot of money.
I just thought that if the original poster is saying that travelling for the adjustments is going to cost a lot of money, then paying the fees for a new Ortho to take on her case (if she starts treatment in Manchester then relocates and has to change Orthodontist) isn't going to be saving them any money. You normally have to pay some kind of fee for a new Ortho to take on your case, even though you've already paid a fee to your current Orthodontist. Also, if a bracket pops off etc and an Ortho in London could replace this, they will most likely charge for those appointments also.
Depends on the difference in fees btwn London orto and Manchester one.
But what she should really bear in mind is : she should ask her Manchester ortho to evaluate the fees up to the point of 8 month treatment. A lot of orthos are really reluctant to give you those quotes. Most orthos just give you the cost for the whole treatment. She really has to be persistent and bold about that question. Or at least he could give her quotes about different types of procedures. Otherwise she should better stick to one and the same ortho.

VA5

#11 Post by VA5 »

I haven't read the other replies yet so sorry if I am repeating.

I have heard that if you change orthos in the middle of your treatment, you will basically be paying twice as much (more or less) b/c no ortho is just going to allow you to pick up the payment plan .. they will have to do records again, and start basically new even though you have the braces in. I highly doubt they would just say, okay you were paying $100 per month up to now, so I'll just take over this new case and charge you the same.

Now, maybe you can call around to the place where you think you'll be moving and see if somebody is willing to do that.. if that is the case then maybe it's okay.

Also, you have to realize that all orthos seem to approach orthodontics differently so you may have to be braced for longer if your 2nd ortho decides to go about your treatment differently after you move.

sadpanda

#12 Post by sadpanda »

VA5 has great points. I have heard tons of stories about people switching orthos and having to pay thousands all over again because no ortho will agree with the exact treatment plan your old ortho had and just keep going. I've actually never heard of someone switching orthos without having to pay what seems like an outrageous fee for a second time even if you've worn braces for a year or something. Of course, if you have an unlimited supply of money, you don't really need to worry. :)

Lynette

#13 Post by Lynette »

There was someone a couple of months ago on the boards who changed orthos and got charged over $200 per adjustment instead of a lump fee.

I guess it depends if you want to start sooner rather than later and if you'll be financially able to switch orthos.

Even though I'm moving in about 6 months, I chose to start treatment a couple of months ago because my teeth were shifting really really fast and god knows how bad they would've ended up if I didn't start.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

fluffybottom

#14 Post by fluffybottom »

It's worth going to a consult in your area just to get an idea of what needs to be done. If they tell you that you'll be in braces 9-12 months, it might be worth starting now and commuting the distance to the ortho in the last few months. If it's a more traditional sentence of 18-24 months (or more!) then either wait until you move or start with a London ortho now and commute to the office until you move. Commuting early in your treatment rather than later might be better anyway -- my adjustments were much further apart in the beginning (8 to 10 weeks apart) than at the end (every 1 to 2 weeks). I'd advise against changing orthos in mid-treatment; you'll end up paying sooooo much more 9 times out of 10.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

sparklingwater

#15 Post by sparklingwater »

Thank you for your replies everyone, it's much appreciated and giving me a lot of food for thought. I'm still undecided.

I was told that I needed 4 teeth extracted, and that treatment time would be 18 months.

I'm moving to london basically for job-hunting. I'm scared that the initial stage of being braced might be a hindrance when I have to go for interviews etc- i.e I have to take into account the extractions, and also it might take a while for me to get used to the pain, braces might be uncomfortable at first etc. Which is why I wanted to get braced now.

However, as many people have pointed out, it seems that it will be expensive to switch orthos. Plus, many orthos seem to have a payment plan that includes retainers and check-ups for a year following de-bracing, and I will be losing that.
fluffybottom wrote:It's worth going to a consult in your area just to get an idea of what needs to be done. If they tell you that you'll be in braces 9-12 months, it might be worth starting now and commuting the distance to the ortho in the last few months. If it's a more traditional sentence of 18-24 months (or more!) then either wait until you move or start with a London ortho now and commute to the office until you move. Commuting early in your treatment rather than later might be better anyway -- my adjustments were much further apart in the beginning (8 to 10 weeks apart) than at the end (every 1 to 2 weeks). I'd advise against changing orthos in mid-treatment; you'll end up paying sooooo much more 9 times out of 10.
Commuting early..I might add this one to my options, thanks for the suggestion.