cost is a deal breaker at my age.... right?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tooold 4this

cost is a deal breaker at my age.... right?

#1 Post by tooold 4this »

:cry: I am a f. 49 going on 50. My teeth are very crooked and my bite , well I dont have one really ( per my dentist). I told my dentist , "please make me some veneers , she held my hand and said" PLEASE consider orthodontics", which she has said before over the years. Well I made an appt. and told my husband- BUT, I just found a place online that says adult braces in my area can run from 6k-7k. I never imagined that much, we just don't have it. My husband is 62 and he wants to retire soon. I have no idea how to even begin to get it. I registered on here because I was excited when I told my dentist to give me the name of ortho but I dont even see anyone else on here that is considering this at my age... It is so nice that this site exists ,I just dont think I will be appreciating it. Thank-you

Chicagogal

#2 Post by Chicagogal »

It's pretty tough to take such an expensive plunge. But, honestly, if this means that much to you I'd start thinking about things like "care credit" and payment plans. I know that I'm allowed to pay over 24 months (regardless of time of treatment) without interest (my braces+expander+retainers will run $8500). It wasn't like I had it laying around, but it meant enough to me to cut out other things like dinners out and new clothes for a bit, i turn down the heat and the A/c is off most of the time; sacrifices are never fun, but I think there is a way to do this without sacrificing his retirement. But that's just my opinion and I'm just a dumb unmarried 20-something :) good luck with your decision!
:hug
Update: 4-2013 Back in Brackets :(
lower braces: 3/2/10
hyrax palate expander: 3/29/10
upper braces: est. 6/2010 (8/6/10 actual)
bone plate surgery: 1/2011 actual
bone plate removal: 7/2011 actual
Debracing: 10-25-11 ACTUAL!!! advanced hawley retainer
Rebracing: 4-3-13...front teeth rotated #2s lifted.

dangerdude

#3 Post by dangerdude »

You could finance it if you have some decent credit. Something like $200/month.

dangerdude

#4 Post by dangerdude »

Dental schools have reduced rates. That should cut the cost in half or so.

Wireless

#5 Post by Wireless »

I'm presently 61 and have been in treatment for 2 years. In my case I had a bite problem so severe it was damaging my teeth and gums. My choices came down to continued problems and probable dentures in the future or getting the bite problem fixed. My treatment has about $5,500, which is a better deal than spending this money on dentures and gum surgery. My orthodontist also noted how much trouble it is to eat with dentures instead of natural teeth.

One problem with older patients is treatment will take longer. After 2 years, I still have a way to go. Things are going well and my bite related problems have cleared. My past few dental checkups have been excellent as a result.

If your dentist has been leaning on you to have your bite fixed it may be a good idea to do this now than waiting until later when you may need a different yet very costly dental treatment at a time that it is less convenient financially.

Good luck!!

BaliGirl

#6 Post by BaliGirl »

Although braces can be expensive, please consider your costs for dental care in the future if you do not get braces now.

My dentists have been recommending braces and jaw surgery for the past 20 years to correct a bad bite. They warned that my teeth would begin to fail if I did not take action. I didn't have the money, and I didn't want to believe the dire message they were sending, so I chose to play the odds and hope they were wrong.

Well, they were right. My teeth began to fail one by one and I have spent a small fortune patching things up (fillings, root canals, apicoectomies, crowns, gum grafts). It took losing a second tooth before I decided to listen, really listen, and do something. In the end I will probably spend more than quadruple on dental care what I would have spent if I had taken action years ago.

Your situation may not be as bad as mine (I hope it isn't), but I just wanted to throw my story out as there as a real life worst case scenario.

Get estimates and opinions from a few different orthodontists (many will see you free of charge for an initial consultation). You would be surprised how much they vary (in my town, prices range from $4,500 to $10,000).

Explore all of your options to keep costs down or spread them out over time - dental schools, Care Credit, even financing through the orthodontist (I'm on a 3 year payment plan). It may be more affordable than you think.

Good luck with your decision!

evilnel

#7 Post by evilnel »

My braces only cost $3600. Some are more expensive than others. You can visit several orthos to see what kind of prices you can expect. Most offer financing, and as others have pointed out, you will save in the long run because you will be able to properly clean them and keep them cavity-free!

drrick

#8 Post by drrick »

Veneers are very often more expensive than braces.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Dilema

#9 Post by Dilema »

if you are living in the west, yes maybe 6-7k

but anywhere else its tops 5K

wired nana

#10 Post by wired nana »

You're not too old! I'm 56 and have had braces on for six months. My husband is also 62 and going to retire soon. I decided if I was ever going to do this, it had to be now. The cost of my treatment (for 24 months) is about $5300. I paid a pretty good down payment and am paying $100 a month for the remainder. It is scary spending that much money, but for your future dental health, I really believe it will be worth it.

almost50

#11 Post by almost50 »

I just got my braces off about 2 months ago at 49--after 2 years (and surgery).

I know it's expensive but I can't imagine that 7k could critically impact the financial implications of 20+ years of retirement.

Also, if your dentist is recommending it and you really need it, the cost of problems down the road from not doing it might be more--think about that. I wish I would have taken care of it years ago. When I priced it all 10 years ago it was cheaper, not to mention the repercussions of not doing it. It would have saved me a lot of money, unnecessary wear on my teeth, and future dental issues.

tooold 4this

thank-you all

#12 Post by tooold 4this »

I am going to go thru with the consult I have scheduled and maybe get another quote from another dr. but I have to admit I respect my Dentist and she knows what a wreck I am about my teeth- bad dreams, obsessive thoughts alot of the time, super fearful, a regular cleaning takes everything I have to go thru it. I want to do this, I do- it's like I want to be a real adult and make a decision for myself, I would feel better if I could pay for it on my own. I will be checking back on this sight - there is an awful lot of support and compassion here about something that to me will be one of the toughest personal decisions i have ever made- thanks to everyone who responded.

Lynette

#13 Post by Lynette »

Veneers would actually cost you more than braces and if any of them get ruined they are expensive to replace. I think each veneer is around $1000.

Meet with a few different orthos and see what kind of repayment plans they offer. Generally it's something like a $1000 installment and then $100-$200 monthly.

Many of the adults on this board are paying between $5000 - $6000 for treatment.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

tooold 4this

#14 Post by tooold 4this »

pretty cool so many of you take the time to encourage and educate, I think my dentist must have realized what I wanted from veneers would have been too costly besides being woefully inadequate.I have to go through w/ the consult at least to get an idea of what the outcome could be. I appreciate this site so much.

Lynette

#15 Post by Lynette »

Attending the consult is a great start :)

Good luck with everything!

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com