Anyone denied braces due to bad perio?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mook

Re: Anyone denied braces due to bad perio?

#16 Post by mook »

Hey Dangerdude,

I know it's been a couple of years since this thread started, but I'd love to hear the eventual outcome. It seems I'm in almost exactly the same position as you are. Right at the beginning of a load of treatment after many years of neglect. It's a bit daunting to be honest and I'm not sure what to expect. I've been told I have a lot of bone loss in places. May even need two molars at the top right to be removed. However I'm not sure if the amount of bone loss is gonna prohibit orthodontics at a later stage, or what they might be able to do about it. I'm hesitant in having these teeth taken out and then being told theres no option for braces. I'll be missing teeth and the ones remaining will still be as crooked as hell.

Mylovedtheeth

#17 Post by Mylovedtheeth »

I,ve seen a results of treatment people with perio. bad teeth increase of the risk of this disease too. and in a case of lose some tooth with a good occlusion there can be easy to replace witch is sometimes impossible witch malocclusion.

dangerdude

#18 Post by dangerdude »

mook wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:20 am Hey Dangerdude,

I know it's been a couple of years since this thread started, but I'd love to hear the eventual outcome. It seems I'm in almost exactly the same position as you are. Right at the beginning of a load of treatment after many years of neglect. It's a bit daunting to be honest and I'm not sure what to expect. I've been told I have a lot of bone loss in places. May even need two molars at the top right to be removed. However I'm not sure if the amount of bone loss is gonna prohibit orthodontics at a later stage, or what they might be able to do about it. I'm hesitant in having these teeth taken out and then being told theres no option for braces. I'll be missing teeth and the ones remaining will still be as crooked as hell.
Its been a while since I've been on here but I did go with the osseous surgery + bone grafting (year 2011-paid in full with cash-got a discount), wisdom teeth removal (year 2013 didn't offer a cash discount), then Invisalign (years 2015-2018 paid in full with cash-got a discount).

Perio doctor was able to stabilize the periodontal disease with deep cleanings every 3 months, each cleaning ($120) was an hour long so they were thorough. Results were looking very good. Then I finally got Invisalign with the support of my perio doctor. After getting my Invisalign, I started a new job and wasn't able to go to the cleanings like I did before. The periodontal disease has been getting bad again with the puffy gums and slight bleeding at times. I was told I will need to have osseous surgery again. I am waiting for the Invisalign to be finished, 10 more trays, then I'll be getting the surgery. I don't have dental insurance anymore so I'll be paying out of pocket somewhere around $4,000 I believe.

thirdtime

#19 Post by thirdtime »

Why did you go with invisalign instead of traditional braces?