Rubber Bands?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smilelikeyoumeanit

Rubber Bands?

#1 Post by smilelikeyoumeanit »

Hello Everyone! I am getting my braces on 11/8. My teeth are only mildly crooked, my main problem is my deep bite. My orthodontist says that it won't take too long to straighten the teeth, but I'm in for a pretty lengthy treatment with rubber bands to correct the bite.

So, what are your experiences with rubber bands? I have a job where I talk with people, especially high school students, pretty frequently, so I'm a little worried that my speech will be affected, I look funny, etc.

Any stories that you are willing to share, would be really helpful! I'm very curious as to what this is going to feel like!

felicia

#2 Post by felicia »

Just like with any other orthodontic thing they put in your mouth, it will take you a couple of days to get used to.
To be honest with you, the rubber bands did not affect my speech at all.

Wireless

#3 Post by Wireless »

It'll depend on where the rubber bands are located. I have been treated with Invisalign and my ortho managed to position my teeth so there was a gap vertically between my back teeth. However, rubber bands were needed to pull these teeth in as they wouldn't grow out on their own. My elastics are on my molars and pre-molars and are not visible at all (unless I have a big yawn!!). I presently have essix retainers on my front eight teeth that replaced my last Invisalign trays, so no one can tell I'm an ortho patient without looking very closely. I also have a job where I'm constantly working with people.

If you're concerned, ask your ortho where the elastics will located.

Speech could be a problem for a few days. My elastics hook to metal buttons on my teeth and these dig into the inside of my cheeks when the rubber bands are out. This does make it harder for me to talk as the buttons hurt when my jaw moves. I'm fine as long as the elastics are in.

Snowglobe32

#4 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I started a thread called "I got elastics today", there is some good info there.

I have been in elastics for almost 3 weeks and I hate them. I have 2 on each side going from my premolars to my canines. My jaw hurts off and on, my elastics are visible and my mouth is restricted when I speak.

A co-worker asked me today why my face looked swollen (from the side view). I told her it was because my elastics were in. There is a definite difference from when they are on versus when they are off. Because of where I have to wear my elastics, the cornors of my smile, if you will, look puffy. I do a lot of speaking, in person and on the phone daily and the elastics effect my speech. At times it feels as though I have too much saliva in my mouth, then not enough and certain words are hard to say.

I had to do training for about an hour and a half yesterday, since I knew I would be doing a lot of talking, I only had one elastic on each side. I don't want to scare you but overall, elastics are the worst part of my braces experience. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that I have 2 on each side. I can take them off when I eat, but for no more than 2 hours a day.

I have found that I can eat fine with only the 2nd elastic on, on each side. When all 4 are on, I can open my mouth enough to eat a piece of a saltine cracker. I would glady wear elastics for the rest of treatment if I only had to wear 1 on each side.

I go back in less than two weeks for an elastic check and I am hoping he says nighttime wear only or that I can take one elastic off of each side.

The elastics he gave me have a yellowish tint to them, it kind of reminds me of a string of plaque, if those existed. My teeth are white, not bright white, and with these elastics, they are so noticable. I bought some crystal clear latex free elastics and my ortho said I can wear those.

For the first week, my jaw hurt like crazy, only on one side though. It felt like a really bad ear ache. It got worse when I went to bed, maybe because I was lying down. Occasionally when all elastics are out and I am opening to bite into something, I get a pain in my joint area. I have lost 2 lbs in 3 weeks because of the fact that I can only have them out for meals. So, I eat, then brush and put them back in as soon as possible.

In the morning after waking up, it feels as if I have been clenching my teeth all night long. Both side of my tongue have sore spots, almost like I bit my tongue. That has been non-stop since I had them.

I have had a few issues with a couple of brackets on my far back teeth rubbing my cheek area. So I have had to use wax.

For me and my configuration, when I talk it feels uncomfortable. Try biting down and trying to talk with your teeth together. There is very little space that is open.

With my long, complaining rant, I will say that my bite has improved greatly with the elastics. My cross bite is improving so I know they are working well.

I noticed today that my right bottom arch sits lower than the left. I have a crooked smile. My co worker said this is normal.

I guess I could go on and on but everyone has a different experience with elastics. Hopefully for me, this won't last long. I told you all of the horrorible things because everyone told me that it would hurt for a few days and then you get used to it. That is not my case probably because I need two on each side.

Okay, enough for now. Let me know if you want to hear more. :D

rhomboid

#5 Post by rhomboid »

I have had elastics in different positions for well over six months and had them recently removed, but will likely be in them again. The assistant initially told me that I was going to get rubber bands on my braces and I gulped and said ok. I then left the office with them installed determined not to be self conscious, but I was only a little bit. They are ok, perform a vital function and are just part of the braces experience. You will be fine, I am not dreading that I may return to them.

catgyrl

#6 Post by catgyrl »

Snowglobe32-

I very much appreciate your candid comments abour your elastics experience. I would much rather know the things that *may* bother me, than just hear "Yeah, they were sore for a couple of days, but you get used to them." That may be the case for some people - and for those of you who have no problems, I applaud and salute you! - but I always like to be prepared for the worst. I'm thanking God (and my ortho) that the majority of my overjet has been diminished just from 6 months of braces. I do think the rest has to be fixed with elastics, though. I think he's waiting for my gap to close and for my teeth to be moved over.

Maybe I'll get them as a birthday present in February!?

-Cathy

smilelikeyoumeanit

#7 Post by smilelikeyoumeanit »

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience.

@Snowglobe- thank you for being so honest. It does sound pretty awful, but I am the type of person that likes to be prepared for the worst. My fiance had elastics as a teenager with his braces and he said it was rough. I'm definitely nervous, but I keep telling myself that it will be worth it in the end. I will check out the topic that you started.

Thanks again! I'm so glad that I found this forum.

Want2smile

#8 Post by Want2smile »

Thank you all, wax is now my new best friend!! :D Even that is a bit annoying though cos I have to use quite a big blob and it feels like a big lump of food stuck on my wire!

All in all..... I hate my braces!! I can't imagine ever getting used to them but hopefully I will, I live in hope!

x

Want2smile

#9 Post by Want2smile »

Ooh I'm sorry, I've somehow managed to reply to the wrong post and can't delete it :oops:

VA5

#10 Post by VA5 »

I don't have any speech impediments w/the elastics, but like somebody else said, I suppose it depends on the configurations you have.

Also, it depends on if you have them on both sides.. and what strength you have. If it's just medium, it's not so bad.. if it's the heavy then it's harder to open wide. Many times, while you're eating, they will snap from the stretching.

And, the soreness really does get better ... I actually liked having the sore teeth in the mornings after wearing elastics all night. It felt like my teeth were moving, but now I hardly have that sensation and I miss the "discomfort"

Back to speech, I have heard more talk of the retainers affecting speech than anything.

Wireless

#11 Post by Wireless »

Curious - how long do most patients have to wear elastics? I'm on week 2 now - not real sure how long it will take to close a gap between my upper and lower molars - about 2 to 3 mm. I can already see some improvement so hopefully it won't take too long!!

VA5

#12 Post by VA5 »

Wireless wrote:Curious - how long do most patients have to wear elastics? I'm on week 2 now - not real sure how long it will take to close a gap between my upper and lower molars - about 2 to 3 mm. I can already see some improvement so hopefully it won't take too long!!
It all depends on your teeth and how fast they move.. and everybody is really different.

Margie

#13 Post by Margie »

I got elastics back at the end of May and have been in them since then, in the same configuration and everything. I have up-side down trianges, you can check out my story to see pictures.

I haven't had any major issues with them, at first it was hard just getting used to them and putting them in and out. For the first month of wearing them I was actually wearing them upside down, thankfully it didn't slow down my treatment at all.

I do find that my speech is affected a little, even now, months later. I haven't been able to eat with them in, I always take them out when I eat.

Overall it hasn't been a horrible experience, but it is a big hassle.