Wires are poking me :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Want2smile

Wires are poking me :(

#1 Post by Want2smile »

Is there anything I can do to stop them from doing this? I think the insides of my cheeks are getting swollen so they're digging in even more and it's flipping sore! I keep having to pull my cheeks out of the wire...ouucchhh!!

Noodle1

#2 Post by Noodle1 »

Pop some wax on the ends, if that doesn't work ring your ortho and get him to clip the ends off.
Braced for 19 months 2 weeks and 2 days.

Want2smile

#3 Post by Want2smile »

Thanks I'll try some wax, I wasn't sure if it would work on the wire but it's worth a try. My ortho is only there on Tuesdays so I need to make it a bit more comfortable until then, I only had them put on yesturday!

VA5

#4 Post by VA5 »

The wax will work anywhere on your braces... a lot of us here use it for the ends until we can see the ortho. The key to making sure it sticks, is to blow air into your mouth, and wait a few seconds, to make sure the wire is "dry" and then put the wax on it. It'll stick better if there isn't too much saliva.

bb2811

#5 Post by bb2811 »

Wax is the key - I also found this mouthwash to be really good at healing ulcers - I used it before I went to bed each night - It lessons the pain and I also found the ulcers cleared quicker...I loved the stuff!

http://www.colgate.com.au/app/Colgate/A ... vacol.cvsp

sadpanda

#6 Post by sadpanda »

I just wanted to make sure you know if the wires are the only things poking you. All the hooks on my brackets poke, cut, scratch, and lacerate my cheeks and inside of my lips. I rarely have a problem with the actual wires. Anyway, I wear BraceGard silicone wax all the time. I've had braces for nearly 3 months and I'm still getting sores, cuts, and swollen cheeks. I feel that when I bite down, I have to pull my cheeks out of my braces too. Anyway, hope you have luck with the wax. I did have a poking wire once and it really hurt my gums.

Ciprian

#7 Post by Ciprian »

I had the same problem with poking wires at first. I found that wax was the best solution. But there can be another one. After I had the wire changed I checked with my tongue if there's any poking wire and asked my orthodontist to cut again the end of the wire. My first poking wire was quite long (almost 2 mm) and gave me a lot of problems. But this only happened during the first 3 weeks.
29, male
Upper metal brackets - May 12th, 2010
Lower metal brackets - Oct 25th, 2010

smartygirl

#8 Post by smartygirl »

i had lots of problems with poking wires and brackets and stuff at first and went through gobs of wax, but have gotten used to it now. i think i've just developed thick enough scar tissue that it doesn't bug me anymore!

Ciprian

#9 Post by Ciprian »

You're right, I've noticed some extra pieces of skin on the interior cheek after a while :D and the wax only protected me during the first couple of weeks until I got used to the brackets. I also used to forget about it and I ate some wax at that time (and I stiil do ). :oops:
29, male

luchababe

#10 Post by luchababe »

I seem to have a lot of extra wire at the back of my top teeth compared to the bottom. It catches my cheeks when I smiled. I called my ortho to see if this was supposed to be or if I can come in for a quick snip today. Still waiting for a call back!

Ciprian

#11 Post by Ciprian »

I heard about a home solution for poking wires which I tried before using wax. The wire can be bent using the rubber end of a pencil. This should be done carefully.
29, male

Want2smile

#12 Post by Want2smile »

Thank you all, wax is now my new best friend!! :D Even that is a bit annoying though cos I have to use quite a big blob and it feels like a big lump of food stuck on my wire!

All in all..... I hate my braces!! I can't imagine ever getting used to them but hopefully I will, I live in hope!

x