If you had your wisdom teeth removed, will your arch move ba

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dilema

If you had your wisdom teeth removed, will your arch move ba

#1 Post by Dilema »

I had my wisdom teeth removed before I got braces and I am noticing my arch moving back to fill that space, is that what needs to happen?

I was thinking, since I have very crowded teeth, that the arch will just expand and make my smile wide, and the teeth will fill in that widening space.

instead its kinda pushing back to fill that space in the back and not really expanding.

it worries me to not have a wide smile, but a narrow still straight smile...

I would like a wide straight smile.

tdawg7669

#2 Post by tdawg7669 »

Im wondering the same thing to be honest. I am set to have my wisdom teeth out some time during or after treatment. I am wondering if my arch will move back. I actually want it to as I feel my teeth are too protrusive.

VA5

#3 Post by VA5 »

If I'm understanding your question correctly... no your arch will not move back... your teeth have the natural inclination to move forward. So the space where the wisdom tooth was, will stay the same and so will the rest of your teeth.

yj207

#4 Post by yj207 »

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed and they were growing the wrong way because it was impacted. So their job was to move forward instead of back because they were already too far back even though the wisdom teeth came off. So I don't really know but I would assume if they can move forward they can move backwards too. Either way your ortho would be able to let you know. I was wearing Class II elastics and they kind of tilted my back molar up against the back so that is why I am assuming they can move back.
Braced for 23 months 1 week and 3 days!
I had 4 extractions and all my wisdom teeth removed.
I decided to get removal retainers so it will be easier to floss.

Dilema

#5 Post by Dilema »

VA5 wrote:If I'm understanding your question correctly... no your arch will not move back... your teeth have the natural inclination to move forward. So the space where the wisdom tooth was, will stay the same and so will the rest of your teeth.
interesting

it could be just an optical illusion, my 7 and 10 were in front of my 8 and 9

while the 7 moved back, the 10 has a few more months to be in place

VA5

#6 Post by VA5 »

Well I suppose if you have a lot of crowding, or really any crowding.. opening up any space in the back of your arch will allow your teeth to spread out. I guess I was talking more about if you don't have crowding. Your teeth will most likely not drift backwards, especially your entire arch. If you're missing one molar on one side then your teeth could drift in that direction.

Dilema

#7 Post by Dilema »

VA5 wrote:Well I suppose if you have a lot of crowding, or really any crowding.. opening up any space in the back of your arch will allow your teeth to spread out. I guess I was talking more about if you don't have crowding. Your teeth will most likely not drift backwards, especially your entire arch. If you're missing one molar on one side then your teeth could drift in that direction.
Yea my teeth are very crowded.

RedDress

#8 Post by RedDress »

my ortho promissed that they would move back with the help of elastics and spring

Dilema

#9 Post by Dilema »

ok, I looked at the progress pictures and figured it out

my front teeth 8 and 9 are pushed back, so while they are moving forward they are also pushing/pulling my 10 - 15 forward...because the 8 is now in place, it is not moving the 7 - 2 forward and therefore my arch looks misaligned (7-2 in place, 10-15 slightly forward). I hope I made sense :)

its really interesting, i tried to illustrate

sorry will not post pics yet, but probably soon