Pre brace jitters

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

luchababe

Pre brace jitters

#1 Post by luchababe »

What am I getting myself into?!

If it wasn't for my curiosity about fixing some crowding teeth, I never would have gone to the ortho and never found out about my TMD, my open bite and the potential for teeth to start erupting. I could have gone YEARS and never knew anything was wrong until it was too late.

I was told he can reduce the severity of the TMD and fix my bite. That's the hard part. He said he could straighten my teeth in 6 months, and I'm clinging to that statement with both hands. Is it possible if my teeth are good my braces could come off and the rest of the work can be done with appliances and retainers?

I've been ready horror stories about severe TMD (surgery, lockjaw, migraines, speech and chewing deficiencies) and it scares me that all that could be in my future. But it's not there now so I feel like I'm going to put myself through some torture for a slight reason. Am I crazy? Is it worth it?

I would like my front tooth to stop poking out and overlapping the other front tooth. I would like my jaw to not pop when I eat or hurt when I sleep on the side the TMD is on. Is that worth it all?

I keep thinking about my Mom and if her doctor had diagnosed Chron's disease 20 years ago, she wouldn't have been through major surgeries and ended up with an ileostomy. My Dad had emergency quadruple bipass surgery and recently had his eye doctor "miss" a detached retina. My bf's sister is 30 and has rheumatoid arthritis since she was a kid which resulted in a hip replacement 7 years ago. Are my teeth that important? Is fixing them now a pinch of prevention instead of a pound of pain in the ass further on?

My mood swings from positive, pumped up, excitement at the idea of DOING something about a problem to fear, anxiety, worry that I'm starting a long and painful process I might regret half way through.

classII

#2 Post by classII »

Very normal.

Everyone psyches themselves out. Took me two years after committing to actually proceed. Strangest thing you may ever encounter in your lifetime. Jumping out of a functional aircraft with a bag of silk on your back is easier. For some reason this process at this age is as bizarre a hurdle as it gets. One suspects that the primary reason kids can get it done while young is because they have no choice in the matter. If mom says you go,you go. :lol:

Having said that, you will be equally shocked how utterly ridiculous this mental hurdle is once you take the plunge. 100% guaranteed once you start you'll be walking around for a month or two muttering how in the hell could I have been so scared to do this!

Just take a deep breath and plough head first in. Once you're there, it's a fun ride till the end. :wink:

SilverGirl

#3 Post by SilverGirl »

I also had a front overlapping tooth that I felt made me look a little goofy! I don't know if it helps to tell you this, but it was for the most part straightened out at 6 weeks. I'm so glad it's not sticking out any more - and even though getting braces is rough and a pain in the neck, seeing that tooth straight makes it all worth it already.

I still have a tooth that needs to be rotated and bite issues that need to be addressed, so I'll be in braces for a few more months.

But I say do it! You'll love having straight teeth!

luchababe

#4 Post by luchababe »

classII - Such wise words, about your mom telling you to have to get your teeth fixed vs. now when the choice is your own. I know I have problems to fix that will prevent even worse problems in the future. I hope I feel better once he's had a closer look at me and can tell me more details about the treatment I need.

SilverGirl - Yeah, goofy is the word! If I smile just wide enough so my bottom teeth are covered, that crooked front tooth sits on my bottom lip so it looks like I really have a buck tooth. My Mom just told me last night she thinks it's always given me "character". I think I've had enough character from it and would like to get it from somewhere else now!

AnitaMarieT

#5 Post by AnitaMarieT »

I know from experience that TMD can be painful. Mine only started acting up bad when I got the braces and it changed my bite around. Before that it would just make a clicking noise when I opened my mouth or closed it slowly. Then once my teeth started shifting my head would hurt, my jaw would swell and ache so bad. But now that my teeth have shifted into better positions, I rarely have a problem with it.

Surgery should be your last option with TMD, it's usually managed pretty well by an anti-inflammatory medicine, or I just put an ice pack or heating pad on it. If it causes you pain more than half of the time and no other measures work, then surgery might be best.. but you should really consider all other options. Oh and sleeping with a mouth peice does WONDERS for me. Because of the TMD I clench my teeth really bad when I sleep and I wake up with headaches or my jaw hurting and the mouthpeice pretty much eliminates all of that!

Good Luck :)

luchababe

#6 Post by luchababe »

AnitaMarieT - Are you saying your TMD was mild to start, then it got worse when you had braces, but then it got better once the braces did their job? A 'got worse before it got better' situation?

I have a nightguard in my future but I have to through braces first.