Question about hygiene during braces! Need help please.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tasha Fierce

Question about hygiene during braces! Need help please.

#1 Post by Tasha Fierce »

Hi! First of all I'm new to this board and I just want to say I hope everyone's treatment is going well. I'm 21 and I've had braces now for about 17 months. Anyways, I recently started a full time job where we only have an hour lunch break. I know that it's advised to brush after every meal but I don't think I'm comfortable enough to start brushing my teeth in my company's bathroom. Does anyone have any advice for hygiene when your toothbrush + toothpaste are not available options? Currently I just try to rinse with water and use my interdental brush to get food out. Any advice would be helpful, thanks again!

:D

Brackets On: 4/14/2009
Wire On: 5/5/2009
Estimated Time: 30 months
<hr>
"Look your best- who said love is blind?" - Mae West

ashesgap

#2 Post by ashesgap »

Yeah get a little travel size of Listerine and swish real good with that after your water swish. If you get as much food out as you can you'll be fine. Plus after you've been working for a while ask your ortho how you're cleaning is. That way you can find out if not brushing after lunch is causing a problem.
Hope that helped.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

classII

#3 Post by classII »

You can always just dry brush them. No toothpaste, just water. Collapsible cup and tooth brush in your pocket, quick brush and rinse, 30 seconds in the bathroom at work and you're done.

Noodle1

#4 Post by Noodle1 »

classII wrote:You can always just dry brush them. No toothpaste, just water. Collapsible cup and tooth brush in your pocket, quick brush and rinse, 30 seconds in the bathroom at work and you're done.
This is what i do, works perfectly and noone knows i've done it!!
Braced for 19 months 2 weeks and 2 days.

trillium

#5 Post by trillium »

another "dry" option is the little "Christmas tree" brush that will help get the stuff out from under your braces.

But that said, I also hate using public bathrooms (shopping mall, work etc.) to brush my teeth, I do it anyway and it really doesn't take long - at first try to pick a time when there isn't anyone else in there. You'll get used to it quickly.

sadpanda

#6 Post by sadpanda »

I think what you're doing is good. :)

kaylaa

#7 Post by kaylaa »

I think that you should just be confident and brush your teeth after your lunch. Not only will you have nice fresh breath when you interact with colleagues, but your teeth will feel much better afterward. I know mine always do. I think that this might also inspire your co-workers to follow your lead and brush their teeth too... braces or no braces.

It's all about confidence. You must have had confidence when you got the job, don't let getting the job squash that!

:D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maya

#8 Post by Maya »

I think just be brave and brush, then you will spend 30s to brush rather than the rest of the day worrying about whether your teeth is clean. Water is essential to cleaning and using the proxy brush is really good.

Most people see me brush and say they should be doing that too.

Also, use a disclosing tablet once in a while to check if you are cleaning your teeth properly. Hope you go well :)

Tasha Fierce

#9 Post by Tasha Fierce »

Hi y'all! Wow I didn't expect so many responses, thank you! I think I'm going to start with baby steps and work my way up to actually brushing my teeth at work. I'm going to get the travel size Listerine as well as the collapsible cup and toothbrush and dry brush. As soon as I work my confidence back up to what it was at the job interview, kaylaa, I think I'll just go ahead and start brushing my teeth. You're totally right, people shouldn't find it strange because they should be doing it! Maya, where do you find disclosing tablets? And thanks again to everyone for their advice, I really appreciate it so much! How's the braces adventure going for y'all?

Brackets On: 4/14/2009
Wire On: 5/5/2009
Estimated Time: 30 months

"Look your best- who said love is blind?" - Mae West :D

orangeracer

#10 Post by orangeracer »

It seems to be a lot more common to see people brushing after lunch at work these days, so just go for it. You may even find that other co-workers are doing the same, it's just that you were not in there around that time. I discovered it's also a great way to cut down on post lunch snacking, as I don't want to mess up clean braces with food again until dinner.

JHova

#11 Post by JHova »

Its not weird at all. I do it and a lot of my coworkers brush after lunch as well. They have pocket sized toothpaste that are not in long tubes, so its easier to carry around.

wired nana

#12 Post by wired nana »

I do brush at work after lunch, but I'm the ony woman where I work, so I essentially have my own personal bathroom. I keep a tupperware box with brush, paste, disposable bathroom cups, etc. in the bathroom, so it's very easy for me. I can see where it would be kind of weird if you had co-workers in there at the same time.