can ligs be put on braces that don'n need ligs?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

slightlycrooked

can ligs be put on braces that don'n need ligs?

#1 Post by slightlycrooked »

I am getting smart clip Self Ligating braces in 2 weeks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M9shNylFI8

and as i am 18 and i will need the braces for 2 years, i am happy that they are smaller and less visible than normal braces.. however, i want to have some initial fun with coloured ligs :P

If i asked my ortho to put ligs on just for the sake of it, would he think that i'm crazy? LOL

And more importantly, is it dangerous to use ligs on SL braces

LC'sTeefs

#2 Post by LC'sTeefs »

I have SL brackets, but I have been asked a couple times if I wanted to add some color to my braces. The ligs go around your brackets instead of holding the wire on - as with non SL braces. My son gets a different color on his braces at each visit.
Just ask them at your next appt., and see what they say.

Emmauk

#3 Post by Emmauk »

i would imagine your ortho will say no as its time consuming and pointless. Why not pick a different brace?

orangeracer

#4 Post by orangeracer »

The sl brackets are designed to allow the archwires to slide easily, so putting ligatures on them would probably cause more friction, defeating the purpose. There might be times where the friction is needed or perhaps doesn't matter, so maybe you could have them then.

catgyrl

#5 Post by catgyrl »

When I first got my SL metal braces, I asked my ortho if I could get colored ligs put on them "for fun", and he said he could put them on a few of the front ones, but didn't want to do much more since it may inhibit movement. I guess they can't be placed behind the wire, either, because then the wire may not fit well in the brackets.

miggins

#6 Post by miggins »

I had SL braces and my ortho snipped up powerchains into single chains to jazz up my braces. I had alternating purple and turquoise! (Then I got powerchains in all sorts of pretty colours)

Lanna

#7 Post by Lanna »

I asked for ligs a few times for fun and they were happy to put them on. It added a little more time to the appt. , but not too long, they were pretty easy to put on. Now I'm wearing powerchains, so I get to choose colors for fun anyways. I missed out on the cute alternating patterns though.