Yuck! Flossing in the steam room!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

Yuck! Flossing in the steam room!

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

I was at my gym the other day, and thought I'd relax in the steam room for a few minutes. This other woman came in, lay down, and proceeded to begin flossing her teeth! In the steam room! Naked!

I told her that while flossing is great idea at the sink, but doing it in a public steam room is not hygienic and spreads bacteria. She got very offended. All I could think was "Gross -- lady, what's wrong with you?!"

What would you have done? Would you have said something? I've seen her do this before and held my tongue. This time, I couldn't stand it and had to say something.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

macgirl4ever

#2 Post by macgirl4ever »

I find that public saunas/steam rooms are much more relaxing when people ask before they proceed. For example, when I visit my inlaws in SF I go to a wonderful bath house in the Mission and the the women there are very considerate. They ask if they can add oil to the steamer, brush their hair, etc. It's really a place where you are at your most vulnerable (naked) and people who use public saunas/steam rooms should remember that it is communal. So, I agree that she should have asked. I don't know however if flossing your teeth poses a public health hazard. It would make sense that the bacteria could thrive in a warm and humid environment but unless you have open wounds, I don't know how the bacteria would enter another person's body.
Braced: 20 months March 2009-November 2010

ashesgap

#3 Post by ashesgap »

Its just icky and shouldn't be done in public. Ew. I don't care how relaxed you are, i don't want your mouth junk flicking all over the room. I use a hand held mirror to floss my teeth, after two times i notice the mirror has specks all over it. I assume those specks are spit and plaque. Again EW.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

Lynette

#4 Post by Lynette »

I would not have said anything. But i'm not confrontational at all and can pretty much tolerate anything.

It doesn't seem that gross to me... just a little strange to be doing it in the steam room infront of people and not in the bathroom infront of a mirror.

If she was flicking floss particles into my face... then that would be a little disturbing!

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

It was my "Larry David Moment of the Day." LOL
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

classII

#6 Post by classII »

Next time sit above her and start cutting your toenails, see what she has to say about that. :lol:

Frankly, I wouldn't even breathe through my mouth in a steam room with other people in it. I'm with you on the gross side. :lol:

BraceFace2o1o

#7 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Lynette wrote:If she was flicking floss particles into my face... then that would be a little disturbing!
That made me literally LOL! :D
:lol:

If it was me, I would have probably thought it was odd... but I probably wouldn't have said anything. Now if it had happened while I had PMT (or PMS, whatever you wanna call it) then I most like would have said something :evil:
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

poppy123

#8 Post by poppy123 »

Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

ashesgap

#9 Post by ashesgap »

bbsadmin wrote:It was my "Larry David Moment of the Day." LOL
OMG, i love that show and this is totally something that would happen to him. Very funny.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

SDFD TSchott

#10 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Yup I'm sorry I would be just like you Lynn and open my mouth... That is jusgt disturbing in a public place like that.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

Well, like I said, I've seen her do it before. I just couldn't stand it anymore!

NervousNewbie

#12 Post by NervousNewbie »

bbsadmin wrote:It was my "Larry David Moment of the Day." LOL
I have those on the daily! :lol:

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

Wongohk

#13 Post by Wongohk »

Thats so gross. ek, I hate flossing, not too interested seeing others doing the same.

Tooth brush used 3
Dental Flossed used (approx) 200m
Cost of dental floss so far HKD105
Cost of mouth wash HKD210 (3nd bottle)

hal2me

#14 Post by hal2me »

That is really gross! Kudos to you for saying something. I would not have had the nerve to do that.

equaeternal

#15 Post by equaeternal »

I have seen people floss on the subway talk about gross