Crest Pro-Health Mouthwash

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Star

Crest Pro-Health Mouthwash

#1 Post by Star »

I just bought a large bottle of this mouth wash. I have only used it once. While rinsing I was reading the back label and saw a warning that this mouthwash may cause surface staining. I went online to look this up and found that it can also cause loss of taste. The last thing I need in braces is to also have brown teeth,granted I don't have the most white teeth but they are do able. Has anyone here ever experienced these side effects? For now I'm not gonna use it anymore may try to see if Walgreens will let me return it for an exchange. Hopefully they will.

catgyrl

#2 Post by catgyrl »

Hi Star-

You may want to post this in the "Dental Do-Dads" forum, as that's where discussion of ... well... do-dads (toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc.) is held.

I used a couple of different ones; a lavendar Listerine one, which burned my mouth to death, and a greenish-blue ACT one, which tasted better, but I was concerned it would stain my ligatures. Now I used a clear one (can't remember the brand, though). I think it's Crest. I stain my teeth enough with food and drinks - I'd rather not accidentally stain them with things that are supposed to HELP them. haha

-Cathy

BraceFace2o1o

#3 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

I Googled mouthwash staining teeth (and posted about it in a thread in the Dental Do-Dads) section. Certain ingredients in mouthwashes can stain the teeth.

Here is the link that I found: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art37443.asp

Bit of a quote from the above page:
A small percentage of people experience brown discoloration of their teeth due to the ingredients.

Cetylpyridinium chloride is the common ingredient in some over the counter mouthwashes. Some of these mouthwashes include Cepecol, Scope and Crest Pro-health rinse among others. Like Chlorohexidine this ingredient is also know to cause temporary staining of your teeth.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

badbite

#4 Post by badbite »

DON'T USE THAT! It will stain your teeth. I know from experince sitting the for hours while the hygenist asked how muc tea, coffee, what I was doing to be stained that bad,; it all cam back the that mouth wash!!!!

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

hal2me

#5 Post by hal2me »

Hi Star,

I have heard about the tooth staining as well. You are very smart to return it. I have used Listerine for years and never had problems with tooth staining. Hope you can return it!

badbite

#6 Post by badbite »

weird, my computer won't let me type! sorry about the typos. It is doing this to me on fb too!

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

Vulcan

#7 Post by Vulcan »

I also know from experience that this particular brand does stain the teeth. Although it was thankfully all "cleaned/scraped" off by the hygenist at the next dental cleaning I wouldn't use it again just because of the fact that it does stain and it's not very attractive.

Star

#8 Post by Star »

Thanks, sorry for posting this in the wrong board. My bad..LOL I will try to return it today. I usually use my kids ACT mouthwash but the store was out so I was lured to the crest. The taste is good at first but wow it leaves this very disgusting taste in your mouth that will last all day and everything I ate yesterday tasted funky. Why do the sell this garbage so gross. Thank goodness I only used it the 1 time.

catgyrl

#9 Post by catgyrl »

Is this the mouthwash that's clear? If so, I've used that at night and, though I haven't noticed staining, it did leave a really gross aftertaste that made my mouth even drier than it normally is. I've yet to find a good mouthwash that tastes good, doesn't burn, and doesn't stain. I guess I better head over to the Do-Dad thread...

Star - oh, it's no problem. There are so many different boards and threads here, we're all bound to make mistakes. I just suggested you post it there because you may get more replies, but it looks like you got some really good responses here! :D Let us know if you were able to return it!

-Cathy

BraceFace2o1o

#10 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

catgyrl wrote:I've yet to find a good mouthwash that tastes good, doesn't burn, and doesn't stain. I guess I better head over to the Do-Dad thread...

-Cathy
Me too! I bought Sensodyne Mouthwash (it's a green colour) about a month ago and it isn't quite empty yet. I bought it mainly because it doesn't contain alcohol so therefore doesn't burn. Since I found out it's the Chlorhexidine and Cetylpyridinium chloride ingredients that stain the teeth I'm wondering what mouthwashes don't contain these! I just checked the ingredients list on my Sensodyne Mouthwash and yep! Cetylpyridinium chloride is there.

I only really started using mouthwash daily about 2 months ago and I don't really want to use ones that stain teeth :(
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

ashesgap

#11 Post by ashesgap »

I wonder if there is an all natural mouth wash somewhere. It would be nice if burts bees made one. I guess its time to start surf'n the web, cause the stores only carry the basic stuff and i think it all has those staining problems.
29 years old
2-18-10 baby canine pulled
3-15-10 got braces
12-22-11 Moving-SO EXCITED!!
1-2-12 Meet new Ortho
1-5-12 Begin finishing treatment
3-5-12 Canine Implants...dun dun dunnnnn
4-9-12 Deband!
I had braces for Two Years and TwentyFive Days

BracketRacket

#12 Post by BracketRacket »

Does Toms of Maine make one?

blueberry*bunni

#13 Post by blueberry*bunni »

Yuck. I used the stuff for a good while and after a while I discovered a brown stain spot on one of my teeth. After googling that the stuff causes staining I tossed it and started using ACT

VancouverJude

#14 Post by VancouverJude »

What kind of world are we living in that will sell a "Pro-Health" mouthwash that can stain teeth!? This is so many kinds of wrong.

BracketRacket

#15 Post by BracketRacket »

Doesn't ACT have the same ingredient? Or are you using a different ACT?