How long have you had braces on?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

royalstation

How long have you had braces on?

#1 Post by royalstation »

I got braced on January 26, 2006 at the age of 42. It is now 4.5 years later and I'm still braced! I'm starting to get frustrated ...........
I had a bad overjet and had 4 pre molars taken out to make room. My bottom front teeth are flared out.
My teeth are much better but it's gotten to the point as if they will not be coming off in 2011 either!
I didn't have headgear, just bands and elinks and now springs for turning my roots. Which take forever. My Dentist suggested a 2nd opinion which I am going to do anyway.
I was just curious if anybody else has had their braces on this long within our age group.

Cathy
Braced on January 20, 2006

Snowglobe32

#2 Post by Snowglobe32 »

Wow, what a story. I feel for you. I would be frsutrated also. Hopefully with another consultation, you can get the issues worked out and those braces off asap. Did your current ortho tell you it might take this long or that it might be a difficult case?

A lady who works in my building had her braces for 5 years. She told me her story one day and said she finally had the ortho take them off because they probably wouldn't look any better if she continued. She was tired of wearing them and felt 5 years was too long. From the initial appearance, her teeth look great.

Good Luck!

Flaka

#3 Post by Flaka »

I feel your frustration Cathy. I am sorry. What was your original estimated time? and what is your ortho saying about it?

5 years is a long time and I think that if you aren't satisfied with your current ortho and his treatment, you shoudl def. get a second opinion.

I will be 33 in January and I have been in braces for 30 months. My estimated time was 24-30 but my ortho says I am not even close to being done and my bite is not right. I am moving to England at the end of the year and I will have to continue my treatment there. I don't know for much longer but I am glad to have a new set of eyes looking at my teeth. I am not happy with my Ortho. I don't feel he cares much.

Hang in there and let us know how the consultation with the other Dr. goes. <hugs>

royalstation

#4 Post by royalstation »

My estimated time was 2 years. I knew after the 2 year mark that they weren't coming off. There are still some spaces because he's turning the roots of some teeth. Things are just going so slow. It could be because of my age and that the bone is more dense than say a younger adult!
I go tomorrow to get the elinks off. I'm going to ask again, how much longer he thinks is left.
Braced on January 20, 2006

peach

#5 Post by peach »

I can relate. As you can see from my ticker, I'm a little over 3 yrs now. My original estimate was 2 yrs. My teeth look aweful at this point. My smile is completely slanted and my front teeth are slanted (this slanting occurred during my tx). It feels like there's just no end in sight. I'm really hoping I will be done by next summer, which will be my 4th yr. Guess we'll see :roll:

bottlecap1990

#6 Post by bottlecap1990 »

I have had mine for about a month and 3 weeks.
RPE. 6/5/2010
Full metal braces, 8/7/2010
Braces Removed, 6/12/2013

sadpanda

#7 Post by sadpanda »

Next week will be two months. I'm 29.

wilson123

#8 Post by wilson123 »

My dentist estimated between 8 and 18 months, with a liklihood of 14...he has been almost spot on! :) I have a debrace day set for the 4th November after having them put on August 17th 2009

hal2me

#9 Post by hal2me »

I've had mine for a little over 18 months now. Not much longer I hope!

LeahRuth

#10 Post by LeahRuth »

I would definitely look into a second opinion, 5 years is a long time!
Of course I don't know your case but it still sounds insane.

I've had mine for a year and 3 months, and my teeth are looking good. I have pictures in my story

Justiz

#11 Post by Justiz »

I have had mine for almost a year and I agree that 5 years sounds like such a long time especially if you aren't happy with what you're seeing. I agree that a second opinion would be in order especially since you've already invested so much time. Good luck and keep us posted on your outcome!

De-Brace Day: May 31, 2011 :) WOO HOO!!!
Essix retainer; Bonded Retainer on 2 Front Teeth
Braces- upper- October 1, 2009; lower- December 1, 2009
18 months to the day!

Rockchuck

#12 Post by Rockchuck »

I know how you feel. I've had my upper braces since May of 2006. I had an orthotic spacer I had to wear on the bottom for the first 2.5 years to correct an overbite, then lower braces since then. I had very wide gaps when I started and now I have almost none. Just a few more small adjustments and I'll be done! My dentist has been great through this process, and I can tell that he has really enjoyed the challenge. So, 4.5 years doesn't sound unreasonable to me, since I'm right there with you. BUT, I know that I am an extreme case, and I knew going into it that it would be at least 3 years and probably more. After my last office visit, I'm certain that I'll have my braces off before I hit the 5 year mark. Oh, and I'm 39.

-Chuck

VA5

#13 Post by VA5 »

Wow yeah, 5 years is crazy. Why has it taken so long.. are your teeth just not moving like they should? Apparently some people's teeth just don't move, .. I think that's why some adults get their braces first before doing extractions, b/c the ortho wants to make sure that your teeth will be responsive to braces first.

I would most likely get a 2nd opinion!

Pepry7

#14 Post by Pepry7 »

Hi there,
5 years is definitely a long time. I totally understand how you feel. I have had mine on for 6 yrs. I still have gaps from my extractions that were done in 2004 and I have an extreme overbite. I was not satisfied with my ortho's promises, so I had to do something. I got a 2nd opinion and am in a new set of braces with a new orthodontist. I had a chance to look at my teeth for a few minutes when the old ones were removed, there was no way I could walk around like that. It didn't look like I was under the care of an ortho for 6 yrs. I never missed an appointment with my old orthodontist and for this appointment, I saw someone new. This is my second wk in new braces and I am so hopeful. I haven't looked back too much because if I think too hard, I know I will be sad about the money and the time. Right now, I just want to focus on getting them straight. I say definitely get a 2nd and a 3rd opinion - you won't regret at least doing that. I wish you all the best. I am 35 btw.

~Braced since 2004, non stop. Don't know when it will be over~