Braces, chewing and bloating

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Snowglobe32

Braces, chewing and bloating

#1 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I have noticed that since I have had braces I feel bloated often after I eat.
I think it may be that although I do chew my food, I get impatient and tend to not chew for as long as I should therfore causing the bloating.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Nume1278

#2 Post by Nume1278 »

Sorry I haven’t had this problem but I do understand about being impatient with chewing.

I’ve had my braces for 3 days and I HATE chewing with them. so I tend to cut my food sooo small at all I can do is swallow or mush the food with my tongue and the roof of my mouth. I just hope I learn to chew again

I hope you feel better with the bloating.

Meemoo

#3 Post by Meemoo »

I think it's because I'm swallowing more air now. It's really annoying!

blackapple

#4 Post by blackapple »

Nume1278 wrote:Sorry I haven’t had this problem but I do understand about being impatient with chewing.

I’ve had my braces for 3 days and I HATE chewing with them. so I tend to cut my food sooo small at all I can do is swallow or mush the food with my tongue and the roof of my mouth. I just hope I learn to chew again

I hope you feel better with the bloating.

Hope you feel better soon. Chewing is a pain in the behind after being newly braced. It will get better. It's been a month for me and I am back to chewing as normal.

ysunnie

Re: Braces, chewing and bloating

#5 Post by ysunnie »

I have the same issue. Browsing through the internet for answers led me to this group. I never had this issue until i got my braces. I have come to the same conclusions, either too impatient with the chewing or swallowing more air. It is very frustrating!

Tobilei

#6 Post by Tobilei »

I've had my braces 5 1/2 months and I still don't chew properly sometimes (depending on the food). My digestion has certainly had fun since I got my braces! I think it's a combination of what you said, getting tired of chewing so not chewing properly and also swallowing some air. Sometimes I think I've chewed something enough but notice once I swallow it that I really didn't.

MrsCharisma

#7 Post by MrsCharisma »

Yes and yes. I cut all my food up before eating (unless it's something really soft like bananas, etc). I usually cannot fully chew/break it down so I give up and just swallow it. LOL

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

missblu3

#8 Post by missblu3 »

Same! Especially with the bite blocks...I definitely cannot eat salads, and find that I hardly break most things down before they go to my stomach. :(

In-Ovation C Upper Arch, In-Ovation R Lower Arch

beckyboo0205

#9 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Humm I never made the connection but I do seem to feel more bloated lately so maybe!