Does you overjet cause you a lot of discomfort?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Want2smile

Does you overjet cause you a lot of discomfort?

#1 Post by Want2smile »

I have quite a large overjet, not sure how big in mm though. It obviously doesn't look great but the biggest problem I'm having and the reason I'm getting braces it that it's very uncomfortable for me. My top teeth dig into my bottom lip quite badly and there is a permanent indentation. I think the way my teeth are resting on my lip is putting pressure on them therefore making the overjet worse, and quite quickly. The last week or so my top teeth are also rubbing on the inside of my top lip too :( I have like a line on the inside of my lip which looks a bit like a blister in the place where my (small) gap is.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've tried doing a search but couldn't find anything which got me wondering if this is very common or not?

Roll on brace day next month!!

14mm overjet :shock:
Ceramic braces at 25
Estimated treatment time 2 years :cry:

LC'sTeefs

#2 Post by LC'sTeefs »

I had the tooth indentation on my lower lip all the time...for years. I always wondered what it would be like...or how it would feel to not have those teeth sticking out so much. It wasn't really uncomfortable because that's all I ever knew, just embarrassing. I don't have that problem any more with my teeth because the braces have pulled those buckies in a whole lot. Still can't tell you what it feels like to not have that overjet, but I can say it feels different.
Congrats on making the decision to get braced, and good luck to you!! Start doing the warm salt water rinses now to heal your lips and you should be ahead of the game when brace day comes!